Can a camera follow an animated look-at target?

Started by dooger, September 18, 2014, 11:51:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dooger

I've got an animated camera simultaneously orbiting, dollying, and inclining around my subject, and I'd like to aim the camera at a look-at object (such as a primitive cube), and then animate the position of the look-at object during the animation to vary the camera's look-at point.  I'm probably missing something obvious, but I can't seem to find a way to do this.  What I've tried is selecting the animation camera in the camera tab, then right-clicking the look-at object and selecting look-at, and the camera view changes properly, but as soon as I return to the animation, the camera view changes back and ignores the specified look-at.  Thanks for any help!

TpwUK

As far as i am aware Dooger, this is not possible with KS right now, however i believe it is achievable if you set up the camera animations using something like Max or Maya etc and then exporting the animation as an FBX. Once imported into KS the animation and frame rate etc will be available in the time-lime editor that KeyShot uses

Martin

dooger

Ok, thanks.  Unfortunately, I don't have access to Max or Maya. 

What is the default "look-at" for a cam animation?  Is the initial look-at point editable or controllable in any way, or does it just default to something?

TpwUK

The default is to be the centre pivot point of the model from what i can tell. You can set absolute position for the camera but sadly there is no true camera target that you can play with (At least not that i have found).

Martin