HELP LABELING RIM! ARRRRGH!SOLVED!!

Started by Jonathan1981, October 09, 2014, 04:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan1981

If someone can figure this one out, I'd be really greatful. I have a super simple model of a rim that I'm trying to put a label. I've attached test render and a picture of what the label is supposed to look like. I cannot seem to get any method to work, it's like pulling teeth. In the rendering, I have the mapping set to planar Z, everytime I go to position the label so it matches the curve of the rim, my mouse runs out of room on the model and I can't pull it down any further, when I click position again, the label resets in position and I have to try to pull it down again. This happens all the time with keyshot and it's really annoying. Now ofcourse there are the number adjustments, but when I try to use scroll bar to adjust the height, the label completely dissappears off the face of the earth...er...rim..:). No matter how small the increment, even .0001 and it disappears. I've tried all other methods of mapping and nothing seems to work. I'm really disappointed because I was expecting this job to take no time at all, it's just so simple. There's got to be a way to get this to work.

richardfunnell

1) Add a crosshair to the center of your artwork for the rim, this will make it easier to position
2) Add a plane aligned with your rim that you can use as a piece of reference geometry
3) Link the plane and rim, add artwork.
4) Adjust scale to fit (if needed), and the crosshair is helpful for using the position tool
5) Hide the plane ;)

Added the KSP for reference

Jonathan1981

Hey Rich,

Really really appreciate the advice!! I actually started this for a client late at night so I was tired and wasn't thinking "3D dimensionally" as the doc says.... I LOVE your method though, I woke up this morning with a fresh mind and sort of was leaning towards adding in a reference plane directly in the 3D model, using it as a place to position my mouse then just hiding it upon rendering, basically what you suggested. I love the center reticulated idea though, just great. BUT, I actually ended up doing it by way of another work around, I just modeled in the text in the 3d model, I do that often when there is simple text involved and Solidworks can handle the font. There was a sketched logo also but I had no problems adding that label using the Z axis, traditional way.

Anyway, thanks for the support!
Cheers
Jon

richardfunnell

Glad you got it sorted out! I tend to create all my artwork in Illustrator, but having the actual geometry will definitely give you much more flexibility for material assignment. Can you post a render of the final?

Jonathan1981

Ok interesting. That takes skill, congrats, I'd love to see how that is done. I've seen photoshop gradients being used to create body work for cars, motorcycles etc. there are a few artists out there that are amazing with it. it's pretty cool, but intimidating. CAD is like section nature to me so it's my first go to software and I like having the model so it can be used for something different later, positioned differently, lighting adjusted etc. so I usually just cad everything.

Yep. ofcourse, I'll have the final renders up in a few days...

thanks again.
Jon-

br3ttman

Awesome tip!  I'll be using that one.  The dial controls are terrifically slow if not impossible to use for texture alignment on cylinders like this with holes in the center.

PhilippeV8

Jonathan1981

This was work for a client so I can't put up all the best renderings but this should give you an idea of what I was going for. Everything turned out great. So the text, "BlackHawk wheelco." was created at the model level. And the red hawk logo was labeled in keyshot, I had no problem added it. (although it did sort of appear on the interior rim also but I just positioned the rim so it can't be noticed)....not sure why that happens...

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

[/URL][/img]

Jonathan1981

Just one thing that I'm trying to figure out, why does the label bleed onto the inner rim surface like this? I unchecked "two" sided. Keyshot..UGH..

[/URL][/img]

TpwUK

If i remember rightly this is something to do with the Depth setting, back it of a decimal point or two

Martin

Robb63

Jonathan, If you applied that label using "Normal Projection", you can turn down the "Depth" of the label to stop it projecting onto surfaces behind the main surface.

Jonathan1981

Gentlemen, thanks for the suggestions, I actually ended up solving the issue by editing the surface appearances within the orginal CAD model so when I imported it into keyshot it treated it as a seperate surface and the logo no longer ran across it. No, normal projection didn't apply the logo properly, had perfect results using Z plane. All these things that you have to be aware of before import. Easy enough with a simple model like this but I've had hair pulling instances with more complex models. It sucks when you get done applying half the materials and then realize there is a surface that needed to be pre-prepped within the CAD model.... room for improvement I guess...still an amazing program though.

hope this helps others.
thanks.