Manga style , toon shading , the adventure.

Started by MaloneXI, October 24, 2014, 12:16:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaloneXI

Hi all.

I'm trying to do my best in learning toon shading render on keyshot. But I have a comprehension problem about it.

I'm working on a comic book project with my brother , and now the characters are done , we are about to make a first "look and feel" try.

On a first try, we wanted to have a realistic look , for the book, but it's going to be complicated , and too much work on textures. That's why we are trying to make a "manga style render" , to compare differents looks, and productivity time.

I didn't use yet the toon shading render of keyshot , and I don't understand many thing.

Some of renders I see , done with the toon shading , show a smooth shadow.

Like this one , with the "startup" environement map.

To get shadows more harder, I tried to use an environemental map that owns more powerful spot.
And it gives that :

And it's about what I want.

To be more explicative, I want to have the best manga render as I can , that is to say , a main color , and a second darket for shadows. But I don't understand how to do that...

Most of my characters are uvmapped with textures I'm making on photoshop. Can I use them with the toon shading ? It's looks impossible... I don't understand what I'm doing wrong...

How to obtain the famouse "2 tints material" of the anime manga style ?

If someone could take 5 minutes to explain me ... Could be great , I'm totally lost about that ...

thanx a lot.

MaloneXI

After some tries , that is the best I obtain.

That's not so bad , but now , I'm askiing my self if the set up of the scene would not be too more complicated. That is to say that I must use hard ligh sources.

Is there a way to have a best result than mine ?

thanx a lot.

TpwUK

play with the shadow multiplier slider on the material editor. Then you can set line weights and edge contours etc

Martin

MaloneXI

TpwUK

More - it's a multiplier, if you want lighter shadows then reduce the multiplier, i often go down as low as 0.125 sometimes lower still

Martin

MaloneXI

Ok thx for the tip but when I put the value at 0,125, I got a very dark shadow. That's not what I'm looking for now.
It seems that it really depends on the hdri map. Just a white small point very emissive on a black background seems to be the solution.

Start using the toon shader, I thought it could "convert" automatically the tints of the texture with its main colors... 'Don't know if it's clear lol

In that case, for now, I'm obliged to hard light the scene and put a multiplier at about 0,9 to obtain a hard shadow zone. The famous double tint manga style.

I know key shot is not a manga render engine but A truly option about this style could be fine :D

For the moment it´s a toon stader We are trying to optimise.

I thank my boss all days to have bought this software huhu. And the team for the work on it.