Procedural Advanced Wood (Satin Light Oak Flooring).

Started by TpwUK, October 25, 2014, 12:51:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TpwUK

Just finished having a play at creating a plank of Light Oak flooring with a satin finish ... What do you guys think ?

Martin

br3ttman

Fabulous!  Spot on with side and end grains!  But that's pine, isn't it?

TpwUK

Colour wise it's pretty close to my solid oak flooring here, but the knots and grain are definitely more pine like which i have commented on in my thoughts of this shader on my Facebook page.

Martin

Will Gibbons

That's great! I'd like to see a whole floor of them!

TpwUK

QuoteThat's great! I'd like to see a whole floor of them!

Sorted Will :)

Martin

TpwUK

And here's a quick fruit bowl too, just to test it's flexibility :)

Martin

Will Gibbons

Cool stuff! looks a bit light. I'd probably try to darken it a bit. Almost has an appearance similar to linoleum imitation wood due to the lighting of that rendering. The single plank however is still my favorite. Nice work!

Quote from: TpwUK on October 26, 2014, 06:26:33 AM
QuoteThat's great! I'd like to see a whole floor of them!

Sorted Will :)

Martin

TpwUK

Ok, different HDRi and a change in wall paint colour, it's darker now on the timber

Martin

Speedster

Sure glad someone else turned that bowl!  With those knots it would be all over the shop!  Really neat, and I hope you will share it on the Cloud...
Bill G

feher

That first image of the one plank looks great !
But when put as a whole floor for me something is off. Maybe I see a pattern and it trows me.
At any case looks like your having fun.
Thanks for sharing.
Tim

TpwUK

I think the problem is two fold for the flooring method;

Firstly the grain is too much like pine and i can't prevent that other than with colours
Secondly, I think it looks worse because of the naked room. If it was furnished to break up those lines and the overly elongated knots I think it would work a lot better

Maybe you should give it a try with your kitchen scene Tim when you get the chance :)

Martin

Ryno

The thing that stands out the most to me with the whole floor is that there grain is the same on all of them - as if it was one large flat surface with the material, instead of several individual planks. Each plank should have the 'texture' translated around a bit so that the grain doesn't line up from one plank to the next. Also need to move the transform widget up and down, in addition to side-side and front to back, to get some planks that look like they were cut from further out in the trunk and some from closer to the middle.

Getting that variation from plank to plank is key to making a wood floor look right. :)

TpwUK

Thanks Ryno, you are absolutely right about doing them one at once, I did do this for all 150 planks as it was very obvious when i applied the material to all objects, so i was hoping applying them one by one would give a better result, I should have used the mapping widget on each, and by doing so the result would have been much better, and the only defence i have is laziness and the fact it was a procedural test piece and i was interested to see if would refresh/adjust the pattern per plank, which as we can see this does not happen and there are places where the knots carry on over a joint which is pretty rare in reality.

There is also an issue with how they react with the lighting when applied as singles or as a whole, but lesson learned.

Martin