0 (0%)
anjocoy
1 (5%)
red_orca
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: November 10, 2014, 11:26:20 AM

Esben Oxholm

Ok. Based on the number of entries so far to the official KeyShot 2014 render contest, a lot of you like rendering automotives.

Consider this as a warm-up.
Do your best render of this VW Beetle v2 in max. 2 hours within the following week.

Please go to the following thread for the entire set of rules:
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,9142.0.html

Download the file/bip below:
GrabCAD: https://grabcad.com/library/herbie-vw-beetle
BIP: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2388699/VW%20Beetle%20v2.bip (95MB) (Right-click --> save link as)

Happy rendering! :)

anjocoy

Is it just me or ....Dropbox link does not seem to work and GrabCAD STEP file comes in with the body as one piece so Keyshot can't make anything a different material?

bronson

Quote from: anjocoy on October 29, 2014, 02:29:23 PM
Is it just me or ....Dropbox link does not seem to work and GrabCAD STEP file comes in with the body as one piece so Keyshot can't make anything a different material?

It is not just you. Same thing happened with the BIP file.

Bronson

Esben Oxholm

Hi guys.
Sorry for the problems. I've updated the links with a slightly better model. Hope it works for you.

In order to download the .bip, you have to right-click the link and choose "save link as".

Let me know if it works for you or not :)

Designemore

Hello,

I am new on the forum. I did have fun doing this image for the bettle contest. A little bit less that 2 hours. No render, but direct screenshot. Difficulty with the HDRI highlight and sharpness...
Postprocessing with Gimp : blur and noise to match with background.

Best regards.

Will Gibbons

Will Gibbons

Happy Halloween!!

My favorite holiday and 1 day before my birthday : D

I'm much happier with this than my submission for the first speed render.

Breakdown:
1. Surfed the web for images to inspire me. Ended up snatching the Texas Chainsaw Massacre 3d one
2. Opened the car up in Solidworks and added colors to a few surfaces I wanted to change the colors of, saved as .stp
3. Brought into KS5 and opened my TCM backplate and matched perspective
4. Rendered out a 'dust pass', a textured car that looked like chipped paint and a beige one
5. Ungrouped materials and applied all materials
6. Finalized lighting and rendered out at 4,000px wide
7. Brought into Photoshop for post

Time:
5 min - Solidworks
55 min - Keyshot
59 min - Photoshop
1 hr 59 min total time.

In the end, I think the side of the car facing the viewer is too bright, but I wanted some detail in there. hah. I also made an animated gif of screenshots I took while making this image. Will find a place for that and post a link soon! Thanks. Would love feedback if you see ways I can improve. : D

Briex

Cool guys! Nice model, going to give it a try! Are addons allowed?? If i stay into the 2hrs time?

G.Pizzo

Hi All

Here is my take on the VW speed render, total time was 1hr 47min from start to finish. Would have liked to tweak it a little more but I'm an honest guy...lol

Enjoy
Thanks!

George

Will Gibbons

And Thanks Ed!

Awesome! Love the mud and smashed out headlight!

MartinP

Total time about 2 hours. Just Keyshot. Could be still a bit better but I like it though.
Seems therer are two versions? The BIP and the Assembly from GrabCAD aren't the same. One has a blinker and the other not but VW logo on the rims and the hood and other things...
Hope it still counts! 8)

Will Gibbons

Good catch. At least yours has an interior... mine didn't : (

feher

Excellent work everyone !
It's going to be tough on picking a winner.
They are all keepers
Thanks for sharing
Tim

Briex

OK, here's mine! just close @ 2 hours, with a big crash -.- these are my steps.

1-Modeling the new set of rims in maya: 15 minutes
2-Importing the SLDASM in lower res to be edited and selected (it was impossible to select and delete the tires and wheels in the provided bip, don't know why, ks kept crashing as they were all splitted), and setting up the scene with basic seats and new tires: 45 minutes.
3-Surfing the net for background: 15 minutes
4-Creating texture for the beetle in PS: 5 minutes
5-Setting up KS for render + 2 mins render:25 minutes
6-Basic Post production in Fusion and PS for logo: 10 minutes

Total: 115 minutes, but i would say i'm @ 2 hours. I had a bigger idea for this render, but as time was running out, i opted for this classic wallpaper and rendered with a basic black modified hdr.
Quite happy :)