Main Menu

Aerogel

Started by PhilippeV8, November 04, 2014, 05:16:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilippeV8

Anyone got an idea on how to get this material ?

It's as good as transparent and invisible near the edges, but gets more color density as the material gets thicker towards the inside.  Also refraction looks very low with this.

It kinda looks like the X-ray material but in reverse.  X-ray shows the edges, this material I'd like to find does the opposite.

PhilippeV8

KeyShot

It is an example of a weakly scattering material with a little bit of absorption. It is a material that we are planning to add to KeyShot, and now that there is a specific request we can give it more priority. In the mean time an approximation could be to use the solid glass material with a low ior and use the color to add depth to the thicker parts. Unfortunately, this will only account for the absorption and not the scattering component, so you will not get the brightening that the photograph shows.

soren

The improved color gradient in KeyShot 5.1 has a "Camera" mode which colors the surface depending on viewing angle. Perhaps this can help improve the approximation as well.

PhilippeV8

Thnx guys!

In fact, what I'm realy after is rendering clouds.  And I figured this material would probably do very well on a cloud-shaped 3D part.  Tho it could use a bit more variation in the opacity (cloudyness).  What do you guys think ... or would it be a better idea to look into procedural material for that ?