Texture masking with Keyshot.....

Started by GokhanB, November 07, 2014, 02:46:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GokhanB

Hello everyone,I have a question about Texture masking in Keyshot....firstly is it possible?
I want to tell what I want....

I am C4D user and I want to render Wine Label render with Keyshot.I want to use Keyshot for render because it's very fast..and results are very realistic.

Here is my sample label design, I want to use three different type material for this label;

Can I use these 3 different type material in 1 Keyshot material ?
in Cinema 4D I am using "Alpha Channel" feature of Materials...it's very easy for masking..is it possible in Keyshot.
How can I mask Gold Material,I can't find Alpha Channel in Keyshot Material properties...

Here is some renders with Cinema 4D,I want to create like these renders with Keyshot;

I am sorry for my little English.
Thanks for your help.
Gökhan.

Ryno

Not with one texture, no. You'll have to have three copies of the surface. Each copy gets one of the materials (gold foil, metallic red, silver foil) and you use an opacity map to hide everything else. So the opacity map for the metallic red will have the red areas as white and everything else black. The gold foil will have the cat as white and everything else as black, etc.

I've done this for an air racing plane I designed the livery for last year where I had a mixture of different paint finishes on the same surface. You don't need to offset the surfaces or anything, as long as your opacity maps are set up correctly, just have duplicates of them.

GokhanB

Quote from: Ryno on November 07, 2014, 04:26:30 AM
Not with one texture, no. You'll have to have three copies of the surface. Each copy gets one of the materials (gold foil, metallic red, silver foil) and you use an opacity map to hide everything else. So the opacity map for the metallic red will have the red areas as white and everything else black. The gold foil will have the cat as white and everything else as black, etc.

I've done this for an air racing plane I designed the livery for last year where I had a mixture of different paint finishes on the same surface. You don't need to offset the surfaces or anything, as long as your opacity maps are set up correctly, just have duplicates of them.

Thank you very much for reply,I was duplicated for each material but I have an another problem now..I will share screencapture video...uploading now...

here is problem,materials are doesn't work correctly;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdVAT0unyc&feature=youtu.be

if you want to check,here is my textures for Opacity Channel;
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/33744896/file.html

Ryno

Quote from: GokhanB on November 07, 2014, 05:03:05 AM
Quote from: Ryno on November 07, 2014, 04:26:30 AM

Thank you very much for reply,I was duplicated for each material but I have an another problem now..I will share screencapture video...uploading now...

here is problem,materials are doesn't work correctly;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhdVAT0unyc&feature=youtu.be

if you want to check,here is my textures for Opacity Channel;
http://www49.zippyshare.com/v/33744896/file.html

Hmm... That's interesting, this has worked for me in the past. Maybe something changed in KS5? If I can find some time I'll do a test on my end sometime today in KS5 and see if I get the same problem.

GokhanB

Hopefully, there is a solution, Thank you for your interest.

thomasteger

It looks like 2 surfaces are laying on top of each other. You can apply multiple labels to on surface.

Ryno

Quote from: Thomas Teger on November 07, 2014, 09:57:19 AM
It looks like 2 surfaces are laying on top of each other. You can apply multiple labels to on surface.

That won't work if you want some special effects (like metals), AFAIK labels are only capable of being glossy aren't they?

The method I described does have surfaces on top of eachother, but the opacity map hides the conflicting areas. This method worked flawlessly in KS4 if you had your opacity maps set up properly. It looks like KS5 doesn't like this, though. I haven't had a chance to test it in KS5 myself, yet, but I was planning on employing this method on my contest entry so I do hope it works.

thomasteger

Rex

Ryno,

I think you're mistaken that this technique "worked flawlessly" in KeyShot 4. The z-fighting surfaces will cause issues in both 4 and 5 and therefore requires the duplicates to be offset. I suggest using scale instead of position so the curvature of the bottle and the label are concentric. Ultimately I would suggest approaching this with consideration of the real-world scenario. Create a new surface in your modeling software for the graphic elements as a general bounding box. This way the ground shadow will not be affected by the duplicate and offset geometry of the entire bottle.

Rex

Ryno

Quote from: Rex on November 07, 2014, 12:14:56 PM
Ryno,

I think you're mistaken that this technique "worked flawlessly" in KeyShot 4. The z-fighting surfaces will cause issues in both 4 and 5 and therefore requires the duplicates to be offset. I suggest using scale instead of position so the curvature of the bottle and the label are concentric. Ultimately I would suggest approaching this with consideration of the real-world scenario. Create a new surface in your modeling software for the graphic elements as a general bounding box. This way the ground shadow will not be affected by the duplicate and offset geometry of the entire bottle.

Rex

I had done this method exactly for a racing plane I was working on last year. The Z-fighting was taken care of by the opacity map in that situation, so conflicting surfaces were showing in the same spot.

GokhanB

Firstly thanks for your helps my friend,if possible can you check this scene...I am doing wrong something but I can't find...
here is scene file link;
http://www57.zippyshare.com/v/71427553/file.html

Thank you.

GokhanB

thomasteger

Increase the ray bounces in the settings tab to at least 12.

GokhanB

Quote from: Thomas Teger on November 13, 2014, 11:42:08 AM
Increase the ray bounces in the settings tab to at least 12.

Million thanks to you my friend,problem is solved.
Thanks for your help again,
Greetings from Türkiye.