strange triangles in object

Started by ilovedividends, November 08, 2014, 01:38:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilovedividends

On my pc I get these strange triangles and on my laptop I do not.  The laptop is stronger than the pc and both units have all the requirements.  Both units run CAD no problem.  Seems the problem is with the stainless material.  Both are fresh installs of KS and are configured the same.

Is there a chance the weaker graphics card/and or processor could be rendering these incorrectly?  The laptop works fine.

thomasteger

are you running the same version of KeyShot on both machines?

ilovedividends

everything is identical....only reasonable explanation is hardware but both machines meet the requirements quite easily.  I'm wondering if the hardware could be causing the machine to represent these .stl like triangles.  Native prt files/iges files all do the same thing.  Regardless, I have used the same file on both machines and the laptop is fine and the pc is showing triangles

thomasteger

What kind of CPU do you have on the machine that shows the facets?

ilovedividends

AMD Quad-Core A8-3820
8 gig RAM
Win 7

My laptop is Intel i5 and is running KS nicely.

thomasteger

Ahhh ... the AMD machine is the problem. What version of KeyShot are you running?

ilovedividends

KS 5. 

Thanks, are all the AMD's a problem or just older ones?  I believe most of the materials work fine on the AMD, the stainless is just acting up now and I am new so still tinkering.

thomasteger

I think it is a problem with older AMD chips. They have a different instruction set. I thought it was fixed though. Are you running 5.1?

ilovedividends

Yes.

Another question I have is if you get similar results to me when working with translucent ,glass, or dielectric material that is place on top of stainless steel.  For some reason I get triangles ONLY when that material is added on top of the stainless...but I believe this not b/c of the architecture and more because of the way the program is rendering the scene.  I will say that I have tried everything I can imagine to remove the triangles that show up in this case with no success.

I attached the picture so you can see, this is stainless with a tile to show more depth and then dielectric on top as a coating.

andy.engelkemier

make sure your surfaces do not share the exact same space. Try moving the parts .001mm apart and see if that solves the problem.

ilovedividends

Thankyou, that was the problem.  sweet. 8)