RWD P30-6 LMP1 Animation

Started by Ryno, November 16, 2014, 12:45:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryno

After many technical hurdles and headaches, this is finally compiled and I am now submitting it. I had hoped to render in 1080p, but time wasn't in my favor so I had to settle for 720p. I may revisit this at a later date when I have more time to execute it the way I had envisioned originally.

Direct video link to Youtube

This is a LeMans Prototype class race car, built to the 2013 regulations, that I designed for the upcoming Project CARS racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios - due for release in March 2015. I had originally designed the car on paper, then created a rough blueprint in Illustrator which I honed by doing some very rough and basic polygonal models in ZModeler to verify the flow of design details. Once I had everything finalized I brought the blueprints into Solidworks and modeled the entire exterior, adhering to the real world specifications for this class of car. This model was then taken by Slightly Mad Studios and used as a sort of '3D blueprint' in 3DS Max to create the polygonal model for use in the game. The main goal while I was designing the car was to create an attractive car that adhered to the regulations of the real racing series, and would not in any way look like a fictional car - I wanted every viewer to see it and think it would be a real car, even to the more seasoned fans of this category of racing. By the overwhelmingly positive response I've received, including that from live-long fans and people involved with these cars in their careers, I feel that I have achieved that goal.

The 3D model in the animation is the highest detail game version (I believe somewhere around 100 000 polygons). Once the car was completed for the game, I designed the livery for it as well. As I don't have any real experience working with 3DS Max there's a few things that were technical challenges in Keyshot, as the model was set up to be used with their shaders in their game engine, with multiple different UV channels for each part, so it wasn't perfect for use in Keyshot due to how some of the components were grouped together. Had I had any knowledge of 3DS I'd have had a much easier time, for sure! I'll add that to my list of things to learn.

The livery on the car is fairly complex because of the variety of surface finishes. To accomplish the final effect in Keyshot, I began with a metallic white paint material. Over top of this I used a series of transparent PNG files with the different elements as labels. The first (bottom one) is the glossy part of the pattern in the dark areas, with transparent areas to have the white paint show through. The next layer was all of the matte elements (parts of the pattern, inner sides of the front fenders, rear wing, etc). The third layer had the high gloss elements (yellow areas, main RWD logos) and finally the topmost label had the semi-gloss elements (sponsor decals). It was a bit of a juggling act to get all of these layers sorted out and keep from obscuring the metallic white paint material.

The final animation was done in 10 separate smaller animations compiled in Premiere. The final few shots show the car covered in dirt, as it would appear at the end of the infamous LeMans 24 Hour race held annually just outside of LeMans, France.

Edo3d

TpwUK

Very nicely done Ryno - Super entry :)

Martin

Ryno

edwardo

nice work! "Formula what?"..... Formula Loco!

kana

salut ryno ,tu as préparer la peinture avec des image png ,si tu veux je peux te préparer le template 2d pour une appliquation 3d ,ce qui te permettra de faire une peinture plus aboutie sous photoshop .
voici un modéle de template 2d fais a partir d'un modèle 3d.
si cela t'interesse prends contact avec moi.
------------------------------------------------------------
hi ryno, you prepare painting with png image, if you want I can prepare you for a template 2d 3d appliquation, which allow you to make a more successful painting in photoshop.
Here is a model template 2d do from a 3d model.
if you are interested get in touch with me.

Ryno

Quote from: kana on November 17, 2014, 10:50:16 AM
salut ryno ,tu as préparer la peinture avec des image png ,si tu veux je peux te préparer le template 2d pour une appliquation 3d ,ce qui te permettra de faire une peinture plus aboutie sous photoshop .
voici un modéle de template 2d fais a partir d'un modèle 3d.
si cela t'interesse prends contact avec moi.
------------------------------------------------------------
hi ryno, you prepare painting with png image, if you want I can prepare you for a template 2d 3d appliquation, which allow you to make a more successful painting in photoshop.
Here is a model template 2d do from a 3d model.
if you are interested get in touch with me.

Hi Kana,

The model is already UV wrapped - the reason for the complex layering of labels is due to the variety of surface finishes in the paint scheme (metallic paint, matte, high gloss and semi-gloss). Because of the different surface finishes, and layering of the paint scheme, I had to use a metallic paint material with 4 different 'labels' on top of it to achieve the different surface finishes. The labels are all positioned with the UV coordinates, taken from my original layered PSD of the full livery created for the game. :)

BTW - from the shape of the nose, and the highlighting for the rear of the cockpit/engine cover, that template looks like it's for the 2014 Toyota TSO40. Is this for a racing sim as well, or just a personal 3D project? Always interested in seeing more LMP cars! :)