Is there a way to reset the "manipulator"?

Started by keyshnoob, November 17, 2014, 06:24:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyshnoob

Hi,

I find that moving the model is a real hassle.
When trying to place duplicates in the right position, the "manipulator" (the gumball) ends up being inconveniently oriented.
Is there a way to reset the "manipulator"?

Could someone please tell me what I'm missing?

Thanks

Rex

Hey keyshnoob,

Select your model or part in the scene tree, click on the position tab, and you will see a button for "reset". This will reset the position of your model/part and therefore reset the position of the Move Tool widget.

Is this what you are referring to? Maybe a screenshot of your issue would help explain?

Rex

Speedster

I think what he's referring to is the one thing we are all asking for.  That the widget (gumball) thingy be always located on the screen where you can access it, regardless of dolly or view.  That is, you can dolly in tight, but then the widget remains in view and usable, and not somewhere off the screen.
Bill G

Rex

Quote from: Speedster on November 17, 2014, 10:37:03 AM
I think what he's referring to is the one thing we are all asking for.  That the widget (gumball) thingy be always located on the screen where you can access it, regardless of dolly or view.  That is, you can dolly in tight, but then the widget remains in view and usable, and not somewhere off the screen.
Bill G

If "Look at" is selected for the part or model you are moving the widget will be centered in the realtime view.

Speedster

Yep, exactly centered and over (usually occluding) the part you are trying to manipulate.  Would be best if it were "off" the realtime window, or can be docked somewhere.
Bill G

Ed

"   ... Would be best if it were "off" the realtime window, or can be docked somewhere."

+1

Yep, I've mentioned this twice in KeyShot "Wishes".  The widget is always in my way, or partially outside the screen.

Please KS, make the widget so it can be moved and docked in the corners rather than stuck at center, bottom where most editing (at least for me) takes place.

Ed

keyshnoob

Quote from: Rex on November 17, 2014, 08:49:03 AM
Hey keyshnoob,

Select your model or part in the scene tree, click on the position tab, and you will see a button for "reset". This will reset the position of your model/part and therefore reset the position of the Move Tool widget.

Is this what you are referring to? Maybe a screenshot of your issue would help explain?

That's not what I meant. The reset button resets the model's position, not the gumball's.
Let's say I tilt a model backwards, then the move arrows are tilted too. What if I want to then move the model on a horizontal plane? Is there no way to reset the gumball's position (it's vertical/horizontal axis), not the model's position
Also, is there a way to simply grab the whole model and move it?

Is there no detailed video tutorial about moving models and using the manipulator? The 1 or 2 minute ones I say hardly show anything.

Thanks

Rex

keyshnoob,

If you use the "Global" axis setting for the Move Tool the move arrows will remain constant with the scene coordinate legend no matter how you rotate the model.

I'm not sure what you mean "grab the whole model and move it". If you right click on a model/part in the realtime view you will see an option for "Move Part" and "Move Model". Select "Move Model" to open the Move Tool for the whole model.

Rex