Beginner trying to replicate a render

Started by Black-Tooth, December 09, 2014, 02:13:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black-Tooth

Hello. I'm sorry if this is the wrong area to post this. I'm brand new to Keyshot and to the forums, so please forgive me if I ask a lot of stupid questions.

I found this picture of a render on the internet and I've been trying to replicate it. This render was done in VRay 3DSMax an has a little post-photoshop work done to it.
  I really like how the body/skin looks solid and real and that's what I'm trying to go for.

Here's a picture of what I get when I render using an old model I made. I'm not really sure where to even start. I've copied the colour of the material over, but it doesn't look right.

Any ideas?

Thank you.
  Mike!

TpwUK

Try the translucent materials and play with the colour settings etc

Martin

thomasteger

Actually, I would try a hard plastic from the library first and adjust the colors. That may get you closest very quickly. The translucent material will then take it to the next level.

Esben Oxholm

It might help as well to pay attention to the lighting and the details of the model.

The Hulk model has a lot of tiny details like wrinkles and veins to catch the lighting, while your model seems more "smooth".
It also looks like the lighting on the Hulk has more contrast than your lighting. The highlights and the shadows are almost black and white on the Hulk while where your shadows and highlights are more grayish.

Also your materials looks more diffuse than the one on the Hulk.

Hope some of it helps :)
Looking forward to see how you progress.

Despot

It's extremely difficult to match or mimic output from different renderers...

Here are a couple of quick 2 minute tests, used the Advanced material and Curvature, hence all the 'dirt' in the nooks and crannies of the Troll (credits:Stefano Bernardi)

Also, be aware that lighting is crucial when creating scenes like this, try increasing the complexity of the lighting environment and perhaps augment it with area lights.

I hope you don't mind me posting images, if it's an issue let me know and I'll remove them

Cheers

J