Main Menu

Animation Issues

Started by OK, December 11, 2014, 12:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OK

Hello Everyone,

I'm working on a bunch of animations and am encountering some issues/challenges.
First of all there is the issue of rotations not along the x-y-z axis with helper objects. I mentioned this in a thread on the animation part of the forum, but haven't had a reply on it yet. It seems like this is a known issue. I would like to use a helper object to make a rotation along the axis of the helper object. Keyshot clearly has this information from the helper object (because if I use the move tool with the local axis selected it moves in those directions), but if I add a rotation it doesn't seem to use this info (I tried a multitude of different combinations of options, but can't seem to get it to work).
The only way I am able to achieve this is to make three rotations and just define the rotation with respect to the x/y/z axis. Not really an elegant solution.

Something else I want to do is to fade lights in and out. I'm not sure if this is something which is meant to work, but it certainly would be cool. I tried just adding a sphere and attaching a fade in and fade out animation to it. Then I experimented with various light materials. It seems like the point light, IES light and area light all don't work (when the material is faded, the light is still on - even at 100% fade). The only thing that seems to work is to make it an emissive. In that case you are able to see the reflections off of materials, which kinda works. However such an emissive is not nearly as good looking as if it were an area light. Can this be made to work? Using lights is a fantastic way of highlighting different components in different parts of an animation.

A real bug I found is when I duplicate a part while I have the animation timeline open. It crashes Keyshot. When I close the timeline and then duplicate there is no problem.

thomasteger

@1: Known issue. We are working on it.

@2: We are planning to add this for KeyShot 6.

@3: I was unable to reproduce this. What version of KeyShot are you running?

Rex

I also tested duplicating with the timeline open and did not have any problems.

What version of KeyShot are you running? Operating system?

OK

Hello Rex and Thomas,

Thank you for the quick replies!
@1: Great, I hope this is solved soon!
@2: Looking forward to it! Will you also be adding scaling animations?
@3: I wasn't able to reproduce it with a simple file either. But it consistantly happens in my beast of an animation file from my actual project. There I have a relatively large model (file size is about 700MB) and I have hundreds of animation events. Maybe my computer is just not able to handle it? I've got 8GB of RAM and a xeon E5-1650. I'm running Windows 7 pro and Keyshot 5.1.57.
I'm a bit hesitant to send the file itself because it is for a client who values confidentiality a lot. I understand that makes it more difficult for you. Are there anything I can test myself or check?

Rex

OK,

Does the crash happen as soon as you select duplicate or does it happen only when you click inside of KeyShot as the duplicating process is occurring? Have you tried to let it sit to see if it just needs more time to execute? Try this: have your task manager open as you attempt to duplicate - making sure you do not click inside of KeyShot to disrupt the process. In the task manager what is the status of KeyShot? Does it say "not responding". Under the processes tab click the memory header to order by memory. Is KeyShot near the top of the list? Under the performance tab what is the CPU and memory usage?

Thanks,
Rex

digisnapmark

OK, it's been a month.  Any progress on fixing the bug (#1)?  We are running into it as well, and I believe we have the latest version.

Rex

Quote from: digisnapmark on January 15, 2015, 01:15:10 PM
OK, it's been a month.  Any progress on fixing the bug (#1)?  We are running into it as well, and I believe we have the latest version.

It's more of a feature enhancement than a bug. You can expect this to be in KeyShot 6. Thanks for your patience.

OK

Hi Rex,
I've been a bit busy, but now I found some time to do some crash testing.

"Does the crash happen as soon as you select duplicate or does it happen only when you click inside of KeyShot as the duplicating process is occurring? "
It happens as soon as I click duplicate. So no clicking elsewhere or doing anything else. It says "Keyshot has stopped working" followed by "Do you want to send more information about the problem?"

"Try this: have your task manager open as you attempt to duplicate - making sure you do not click inside of KeyShot to disrupt the process. In the task manager what is the status of KeyShot? Does it say "not responding". Under the processes tab click the memory header to order by memory. Is KeyShot near the top of the list? Under the performance tab what is the CPU and memory usage?"
Before clicking duplicate it is using 1,375,816K RAM and CPU at 0% usage (pauzed keyshot)
When I click duplicate the status goes from running to not responding in about 2 or 3 seconds.
Attached is a screenshot of the performance. You can see me starting up Keyshot, then loading my model and then pauzing the rendering. Then a bit later I click duplicate. It is where the 4 tiny bumps can be seen at the CPU graph. Below the numbers are doing nothing strange, no sudden changes of anything really.
I hope that helps you. I don't have this problem in less complex animations. I'm guessing this file just pushes Keyshot to its limits.

OK

Quote from: digisnapmark on January 15, 2015, 01:15:10 PM

It really is a pity this doesn't work in this version. However as I said before you can kind of work around it by having multiple rotations at the same time. Maybe that will also work in your situation.

Rex

Quote from: OK on January 16, 2015, 05:21:54 AM
Hi Rex,
I've been a bit busy, but now I found some time to do some crash testing.

"Does the crash happen as soon as you select duplicate or does it happen only when you click inside of KeyShot as the duplicating process is occurring? "
It happens as soon as I click duplicate. So no clicking elsewhere or doing anything else. It says "Keyshot has stopped working" followed by "Do you want to send more information about the problem?"

"Try this: have your task manager open as you attempt to duplicate - making sure you do not click inside of KeyShot to disrupt the process. In the task manager what is the status of KeyShot? Does it say "not responding". Under the processes tab click the memory header to order by memory. Is KeyShot near the top of the list? Under the performance tab what is the CPU and memory usage?"
Before clicking duplicate it is using 1,375,816K RAM and CPU at 0% usage (pauzed keyshot)
When I click duplicate the status goes from running to not responding in about 2 or 3 seconds.
Attached is a screenshot of the performance. You can see me starting up Keyshot, then loading my model and then pauzing the rendering. Then a bit later I click duplicate. It is where the 4 tiny bumps can be seen at the CPU graph. Below the numbers are doing nothing strange, no sudden changes of anything really.
I hope that helps you. I don't have this problem in less complex animations. I'm guessing this file just pushes Keyshot to its limits.

Does KeyShot crash if it is not paused when you duplicate? Do you mind sending the .ksp to rex@luxion.com via keyshot.wetransfer? If I can reproduce I'll file the issue with development.

Thanks

OK

Hello Rex,

I tried to send a personal message, but that didn't seem to work for some reason.
Keyshot also crashes when it is unpauzed. But if I close the animation timeline, then it works fine.
I'm a bit hesitant to share the keyshot file because it is for a client and the product is, as of yet, unreleased.

Rex

Quote from: OK on January 21, 2015, 10:46:54 PM
Hello Rex,

I tried to send a personal message, but that didn't seem to work for some reason.
Keyshot also crashes when it is unpauzed. But if I close the animation timeline, then it works fine.
I'm a bit hesitant to share the keyshot file because it is for a client and the product is, as of yet, unreleased.

OK, send me an email and we can set up an NDA. rex@luxion.com

Thanks,
Rex