Material for "light" cube

Started by hooj1, October 06, 2010, 09:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooj1

I have been working on creating a light cube render but can't get it even close to looking correct. I have the model with the light inside. I know how to get the light to "turn on" but don't know what kind of material I should use for the cube. If I use translucent plastic it does not come out right at all.

Here is an example of what I want to do...

guest84672

Emissives don't support the translucent material quite yet. You could try the advanced material and use diffuse transmission when you enable the advanced settings.

ohashi3d

Hi,

I've just made a sample scene...very simple objects :)
I hope this is something useful for you!

sdesaulles

V. Good.

A question though, what controls where the light appears to come from - in the example it looks as if the light source is low within the cube, could it be moved up for instance to appear to be coming from the upper half of the cube?

Thanks

Stephen

Robb63

Kyosen, thanks for posting this! It may be simple but I got a lot out of it just by being able to pull the scene apart and look ath the settings. Thanks again!!

sdesaulles, if you download the file and look at the "scene" tab you can switch the parts on and off to see how they are set and where they are in the scene. Looks like you could move the sphere up to change the light position.

ohashi3d

Hi sdesaulles and Robb63,

Thank you for your appreciation!

Quote from: sdesaulles on October 15, 2010, 02:22:42 AM
A question though, what controls where the light appears to come from - in the example it looks as if the light source is low within the cube, could it be moved up for instance to appear to be coming from the upper half of the cube?

As far as I know, KeyShot has 2 levels(parent/child) objects structure tree,
and doesn't allow moving/rotating sub level(child) objects independently.
I made the sample 'light_cube_03.bip' with OBJ file which has combined
cube and sphere in it, so lights source location, i.e. relative location of light
within the cube is NOT controllable in this case.
If we want to control light source location, we need to import cube and light
objects independently...
...I hope KeyShot allows local moving/rotating in the future version, indeed!

Regards,
kyosen

guest84672

Robb63

"If we want to control light source location, we need to import cube and light
objects independently..."

I do this all the time, which is inconvenient, but at least in the current Keyshot things stay the same scale when you bring them in separately. I used to have a horrible time with this because they would be all different sizes. Now it works pretty good.

barrychatham

Can someone either add step by step instructions or create a jing type movie as I cannot replicate how its been done

guest84672

Bip's right there for download ...

a737

Kyosen, thanks for your post! I downlowded the file, and used it as a base for a lamp I am working on, but I cant control very well the material... I would like yo have a white translucent porcelain with the light inside, any suggestion?

Thanks!

muzzi

Quote from: kyosen on October 10, 2010, 09:36:30 AM
Hi,

I've just made a sample scene...very simple objects :)
I hope this is something useful for you!

Hi,

a little off topic, bu i have downloaded the file, and i see that this render uses an environment that I don't have. Is there anyway I can export it from the file into my invironments folder?

thanks

Muzzi

w.wolf

kyosen, I have posted your material here: http://grabcad.com/library/keyshot-material-ball ...
If you have a problem with that please contact me at my e-mail or post here ...