Re-scaling Objects Warps My Materials/Bug

Started by blessid, December 04, 2014, 06:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blessid

Yikes! I can't believe im back here with another material scaling issue, haha  ??? :P. Actually its 3...

1. When i make my own material and apply it to a keyshot object (a plane for example) the material appears on the surface DRASTICALLY oversized (ironically the complete opposite to the issue i had with KS4). Literally, I was working on a brick wall material and (image originally from CG textures) it had to be scaled down to 0.0006 before it looked right, though the issue then was that KS wasnt reading my NRM map properly, so it was a complete mess. When i applied the same material to my own models, this time leaving the scale at default 1, it was fine! (see first image below-wall on left my ow m0del, material scaled at 1, on the right on a KS plane, scaled at 0.0006).

2. Again, with the brick wall texture im working on. I apply it to a model i that made to represent a wall. I realise that the wall is not the size i want it, so i resize it within KS. But strangely that then pulls and stretches my texture?! Is this normal? I figured, as it was tiled too, the texture scale would remain but the tiling would just increase, no??? Plus, strangely, when i try to increase it on, say, the x-axis, it adjusts the parameters of my texture! although there is no evidence of this in the material settings!!!! (i.e. increased bump height etc.) (see second 2 images)

3. I adjust the scale of my wall on the x-axis to 10 (for example) and the model expands on said axis. I then select a different model, or just de-select my wall model, and when i click on the wall again, and return to adjust the scale, the x-axis has reset to the scale of 1???? Even though i just the model size (and the model is still the size i increased it to). I can then change the parameter back to 10, and it will increase by another 10, but, once again, when i return back to the scaling values later, they have reset to 1 again, with the model STILL the size i increased it to! (see last image) I'm I missing something here? haha.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Luke

Rex

Hey Luke,

1. The plane in the add geometry menu is 1" by 1" so it is not the texture/material that is oversized but rather the model/part that is undersized. It looks like the material on the right may not have the bump and color textures sync'd properly. Do you have the box for "Sync" checked on both?

2. KeyShot's behavior in this regard is based on real world behavior. If you had a piece of fabric with a texture/label on it and you stretched/scaled in one direction you would expect the texture to stretch along with the fabric. If you decide to non-uniformly scale a model you will also have to adjust the scale for the texture accordingly.

3. I think there may be some confusion here. In your "Back Wall" example you can see that the model has two levels: "Back Wall" and "Blocky Bloke". The position values (translation, rotation, scale) act independently for each so if you change the scale on one the other will not change. The confusion may be coming from adjusting scale on one level and selecting the other and seeing default values. Is this the case?

Thanks,
Rex

blessid

Hey Rex,

Firstly thanks for your reply.

1. Okay, i understand. I had noticed actually that when importing the Keyshot model geometry that they seem to have to always been upscaled by about 1000! Why is that? Im working in mm, and my model in this particular is approx 3000mm tall.
Yeah i checked that my textures are sync'd.

2. Okay i understand that it is based on real world behaviour, but what is the benefit of this happening? Like, why does it benefit me that that texture is stretched this way and that? Considering i have designed each of my textures a certain way, so would expect similar results if i put them on a table top, or a large wall. Im thinking along the lines of wrapping a small gift box and then wrapping a huge gift box with the same wrapping paper. The paper wouldn't stretch, there would just be more of it to see.

3. Oh okay i see, that was in fact the case, thanks. Why is this though? Why do my models automatically create sub models with independently adjustable parameters? When is that useful?

Sorry for the million questions, but thanks in advance for your help!
Luke

Rex

Luke,

1. Are you importing using "Automatic" or "Keep original" size? I think the .0006 value may be the issue with the texture. Try inputting a DPI value here so you can increase the scale.

2. I can definitely see how your workflow of non-uniform scaling would benefit from the wrapping paper analogy (nice one btw ;D) but you also have to think about other scenarios - What would you expect if your model was scaled uniformly? Wouldn't you want the textures and labels to be in the same place with the same scale?

3. This has to do with the coding structure and maintaining consistency throughout the scene tree. It's useful when models have more than one part. Single part models need to have the same structure for the sake of materials, animation, etc.

Rex

blessid

hey Rex,

1. I have tried both methods. I ensure that the dpi box is checked and set to 72dpi (the original png size of my maps).

2. Ha ha thanks (tips hat). Yes i understand.

3. Okay cool, well its to no serious detriment, plus generally i would be working with models with multiple models.

Thanks Rex!

Back soon (probably)
Luke

soren

With respect to issue 3, did you notice that on the first and last image you have selected the group "Back Wall", whereas you have selected the sub-object "Blocky Bloke" in the middle image? Both the group and the object have transforms and they both apply (group applies first, then object). Try doing the same operations but take care to select the same item in the scene tree when checking the property page.

/Søren

blessid

Thanks for the feedback Søren! Sorry for the late reply.

Luke