Main Menu

The Jet Engine

Started by Suman Bag, December 23, 2014, 11:30:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suman Bag

Hello...my first post here. Hope you like. Thanks.
Autodesk 3ds Max • KeyShot • Photoshop

Esben Oxholm

Welcome to the forum
Very nice entry!
The engine seems a bit blown out at the far end, but otherwise it is pretty neat.

How much of the image is geometry?

Suman Bag

I just tried now to correct the image, I mean that blown out area, now I feel the same, there should be some details but I think now it`s impossible to correct it and I`m sorry for that. It would be very helpful if I could tonemap the image inside KeyShot. If you have any idea to tackle this kind of situation please share. I see the raw is actually blown out. Thanks.

HaroldL

This grabbed my attention. Nice work.
What's the engine name, model, etc? Is it civilian or military? What aircraft is it from?

Suman Bag

Merry Christmas to everyone first of all. I`m not sure particularly which aircraft`s engine it is, I just had some reference pictures. I think it`s an engine of a old fighter plane, maybe Sukhoi. Thanks you like it.

Hellboy1991

Loved it the first time i saw it :) ! Arpan Here... :D

HaroldL

Now that I see the photos I can ID the engine as a General Electric J-79. It was used in the F-104 Starfighter and the F-4 Phantom. The front center housing for the CSD (constant speed drive) had two diagonal struts near the bottom on the version used in the F-4.

You did a great job if all you had were some reference photos to work off of.

rmk

Superb model!!

If I must find something to criticize, I'd say the engine looks too much 'brand new' in the scene.

feher

Welcome ! Very cool model. Play with the metal adding some life to it. Your almost there. Just a little texture here and there in that background and will come right to life. Great work on the modeling too.
Tim

Suman Bag

Quote from: feher on December 29, 2014, 09:07:32 AM
Welcome ! Very cool model. Play with the metal adding some life to it. Your almost there. Just a little texture here and there in that background and will come right to life. Great work on the modeling too.
Tim

First of all thanks all of you.
I would like to see a little of reference like how to add life to the metal. Have never added textures before in keyshot. Do I need to apply some concrete texture on it so that the metal look better? Posting some photos or texture will give me to the point idea...Thanks in advance  :)

HaroldL

The engine transport should have some color applied too. Here is a link to the USAF colors for support equipment. This should help you to set the color for it.

On the engine, depending on the material you applied, I'd try bumping up the Roughness a little. I'll let the pros here speak more to that.

Suman Bag

Whoa. Thanks a lot Harold. I will be using these color codes next time on project for sure  :)

Josh3D

Welcome indeed! Really excited to see more of your work. This one looks superb. I may try a darker metal color though with some pin lights set in the HDRI Editor to catch more of that wonderful detail.

Suman Bag

Hey Josh, it`s a cool idea to tweak the HDRI first. I`ll keep in mind this. thanks mate.