Bump noise problem on a surface

Started by haprod, December 22, 2014, 04:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

haprod

Hi, I'm rendering a product photo and I have a problem with bump noise on a surface:

The top of the product is one continuous surface, but with the bump noise it looks like there are two separate surfaces (see picture and red arrows). If I change the lighting or rotate the product, the line remains in the same position on the product. The 3D model is created with CREO.

Any ideas what could cause this?

Esben Oxholm

Is it possible for you to share your scene as a ksp file?
I would like to have a look at it.

Best regards,

Rex

Hey haprod,

When you say bump noise are you referring to the procedural texture? If you would like me to have a look, save a KeyShot Package file (File>Save Package) and send the .KSP to rex@luxion.com via keyshot.wetransfer.com

Regards,
Rex

haprod

Thanks for the quick reply. I just sent the package via keyshot.wetransfer.com.

Rex

Quote from: haprod on December 22, 2014, 09:42:12 AM
Thanks for the quick reply. I just sent the package via keyshot.wetransfer.com.

haprod,

Looks like this is a bug related to a combination of a small scale and a high number of "levels". I have filed the issue with development but looks like you can do the following for a temporary fix. Edit the material > select the bump texture > open the mapping tool > and click the reset button on the realtime overlay dialogue. Now reduce the level count to 4 and the seams should go away. This will also speed up render times a bit. Also keep in mind the two arrows in the screenshot point at two unlinked materials - ABS, rough, kipinoity #1 and ABS, rough, kipinoity #9. You probably want to link these.

Cheers,
Rex

haprod

Thank you very much for quick help, this worked well!

A question: what's the benefit of linking the materials? Or downside not linking them?

thomasteger

The benefit of linking material is that you deal with a single material across the model. So when you make adjustments to the material it will adjust them on all parts that have the same material applied.