HAving trouble importing rhino files

Started by ediamond, March 05, 2010, 12:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ediamond

I am currently evaluating Keyshot for possible purchase. I am using the trial version. I have several rhino chair files and none of them will import. I get no error message, the import process seems to work but nothing shows up. I tried a simple cube and that seemed to work. Any suggestions? I read both manuals and the forum but I don't see a clue i am new to this and Rhino. Thanks very much.

KeyShot

If you save a file with polygons from Rhino then it should work.

ediamond

I'm not sure what you mean, as I could not find a setting to save with polygons. I kind of assumed that the default Rhino file saves with polygons. (I am not saving with the "only geometry" option checked). I tried exporting as an IGES file and still no joy. Is it possible there is something wrong with my file? It seems to render in Rhino, I am not sure why it would be prevented from rendering here. But then I am a newbie.

I am on a Mac Pro 2.66 DualCore with 3 GB of RAM. I'll head over to school and install the demo on my laptop there and see if I get different results. Fingers crossed.

guest84672

IGES should work without any problems.

I found that in Rhino you will need to "shade" your model first to get it fully tessellated. Once you have done that, save it, and then import into KeyShot.

Thanks,
Thomas

ediamond

Nope. Here was the problem: the file name had an umlaut in the filename. Once I removed the umlaut things worked very well. You guys should document this, as I have a friend at school who ran into a similar situation. Alphanumerics only in the filename, please.

guest84672