Poster size

Started by rtyer, February 26, 2015, 11:35:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtyer

Could the actual monitor screen or program in the window have an effect, Just noticed
that with the settings window open and boxes unchecked if I mouse drag the program
window, it changes the setting themselves.
Cannot find any default settings for the actual program display.

rtyer

To whomever has the same problem and finds this thread.
Yesterday, all over this forum I posted various ways of asking about this problem.
The three or four answers I received all said the same thing. Uncheck the aspect, and the resolution
boxes in the settings window and type in what you wish.
To all of them I kept saying that it did not work.
I would type a number and Keyshot would change it.
For about 6 hours, ( hate to admit this) I worked on the problem.
I uninstalled and reinstalled the program twice. Since I have to change all the folder defaults
and have the contents all rerender that was not fun.

I would like to write a few things to whomever has the same problem and is looking for
a solution, it is not a technical answer but the answers I received weren't either.

If you have the problem, no, you are not nuts.

Very simply, KeyShot knows the screen it is being displayed on. It knows the resolution of the monitor. I have a two monitor system ( extend the desktop). My main monitor is small and the
resolution is 1024x768. A landscape orientation.
Solution 1. With KeyShot open to the settings window, resize the actual program window, you will
see the settings window change to reflect what you are doing. After a little manipulation you should
get a reasonable portrait size ( not exactly 480x640) but close enough. Lock the aspect.
Solutiong 2  change the resolution of your monitor just for this one adjustment.
With the monitor resolution changed to a higher number, create a blank scene, at this point
you can go in and change the aspect number, lock the aspect, and save the document as
"template". Readjust the monitors resolution, open the template.
Voila.. Portrait size!!!!!
  If I were a a technician, program developer, tutorial writer, KeyShot dvd lesson, I could tell
you a better way.
But.
In the two book, I have about Keyshot, in the help manual that Keyshot provides.,n the two dvd lessons that I have, in the default preferences......
This principal is not addressed...
Maybe they do not consider Portraits important.
Maybe they think everyone has the same monitor, operation system, setup
Scouring this forum, there are only one or two mentions with no solution, other
than uncheck the boxes.
In some things we are on our own.
Best of luck

Speedster

Lighten up...  A lot of folks are trying to help you, and you have to be patient as we try to find a solution.

I do not have this problem, and I run on three monitors including a high-end EIZO.  Frankly, I'm baffled, as in my seven years using KeyShot, this has never, as far as I know, showed up.  I can create any aspect ratio I want, at any time, just as I described in my post on your other thread.

NOTE: If you grab the window corner and resize it, it will crap out your aspect ratio.  Just open KS, maximize it and leave it alone!  Then set your aspect ratio as stated. 

I don't think there's a bug in the software, as I've never heard of this issue from anybody.  I do believe it has something to do with how you are manipulating the tools and settings, and your level of frustration is making it even worse.  Hopefully others will pipe in with guidance, if you are willing to listen to them...

Bill G

rtyer

Have lightened up , this is polite!!!

Am willing to listen, what am I listening to?

Same thing repeated, uncheck boxes, type numbers,

No one asks the setup
No one address the issue of the software itself blocking settings.
In another thread over a month old the moderator
says interesting problem. Then, uncheck boxes, type numbers

Thanks for the reply, this was written to help some poor sob like me

rtyer

NOTE: If you grab the window corner and resize it, it will crap out your aspect ratio.  Just open KS, maximize it and leave it alone!  Then set your aspect ratio as stated. 

No! It does not work.

My solution although not "technically sound" works, Look over this forum and find I am not
the only one there are at least three others. They either gave up or developed their own solution.

I spent over two hours combing this forum.
Uncheck boxes, type numbers  ain't the solution

rtyer

Not the corner window, height and width.
As you adjust the width of the window, in the setting box, the number changes.
you can produce 480.
In the height cannot produce 640 but close enough.
In the final render the aspects stay about the same.

Template seen to work the best, but not everyone is familiar and comfortable with this type of
adjustment.
I have been using a workaround for month I used the 1x1 aspect and then resized and cropped
in Photoshop.
Great job just came up that depends on a lot of 16X20 prints.
Client is very precise (other words could be used).
This problem was not being drilled down to because I had nothing better to do.
The solution itself, because of the lack of information, was frustrating.
I do thank those that bothered to reply (not a great number).
During the six hours I was coming back to this thread every 10 minutes to check.
Frustrating is not the word I would have used

Robb63

I know this can be frustrating, but people here are just trying to help you.
I don't have the issue you are having, as I can just type in a res that gives me portrait so I can't duplicate your issue.

Have you tried floating Keyshot, uncheck "lock aspect", and "lock resolution" boxes, then drag Keyshot to size it so that you have a portrait image (see attached). I know this doesn't give you exactly what you want but it might be closer, and if you get it to be portrait that way, perhaps you can then type in the res you are looking for?

rtyer

Thanks Robb, have an interesting update.
I have two monitor setup over two computer  ( total three monitors, two computer, switch
for one keyboard, one mouse one shared monitor).
The monitor that is the same for all I have set at a resolution of 1024x768.
The extended monitor although big is also set for 1024x768.
On the second monitor I just adjusted the resolution to a higher number, moved the program
there,    it let me type 480x640[/b
Now.
When I dragged the program back to the smaller monitor it adjusted the setting on its own
to 454x606. Not exact but at least it is still portrait in size.
Basically my problem is solved with the solutions I gave. All is now well.
I keep posting updates here because I do not want to see some poor soul go through
what I did yesterday. There might be stuff a tech can use
If someone can give  be me a technical reason would appreciate it ( would be nice to put the explanation in the manual also).
Anyone has the same problem or if I can help let me know

Remember at all times: Uncheck the boxes, type in the numbers....easy (bull)

A final suggestion to anyone who has never experienced the issue.
Adjust, just for the test, your monitor to 1024X768. and uncheck the boxes, type in the numbers.
Best of luck and thank you

Robb63

Hey Ryter,
I switched my monitor to 1024 x 768 (it's usually 2560 x 1600), I was able to type in numbers and have the render window stay in portrait. The first time I did it, it did switch the horizontal number I type to a different number (even though I had the two boxes unchecked), but it stayed portrait.

Just a thought... have you tried typing the longer 640 in first (In the second box), and then typing the shorter 480? I seem to remember having an issue with this 5-6 years ago, and found the order I typed the res numbers made a difference.

rtyer

Trust me I tried every way there was.
The only way I could come close was the 1x1.
I would type a number and wait awhile to try the other.
At one point I thought I was successful and then watched as the number changed.
In all instances, ALL, the settings ended up landscape.

You did, however, achieve part of the problem.

( that alone yesterday would have been a source of rejoicing to me).
The biggest hurdle I faced was not knowing if it were even possible for KeyShot to
do a portrait. All the presets in my settings box are Landscape.
When the program changes settings on its own, you know it ain't good.
Keep thinking there must be a setting for this

Thank you for staying with this, would like to eventually find a solution.

But at least if someone finds this, there are solutions and it does not need the program
to be uninstalled.
And it is not the person using the program.
And is not the computer itself.
It also means you are not alone with the problem.

rtyer

Robb, possible you had built in solution from having the program original
install with a larger monitor.
In research yesterday came across a problem ( not like mine)
Did not bookmark it ( selfish of me)

The solution given was to delete a html file, the explanation said that this was a
file containing individual settings.
Very possible your version of the program with your settings knows it is
on larger monitor.
(Wonder if KeyShot can make toast)
https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=10063.msg48081#msg48081

Update from another thread https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php/topic,9731.0.html

rtyer

Over a dozen different 16x20 renders enroute to printer.
Satisfied Nit picker.
Was a busy two days!!
Thanks to all!!!

uncheck boxes, type in numbers.