Main Menu

Ant

Started by Zen, January 20, 2015, 09:35:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Ant
Sometimes things are best left simple...and small. 

yusuf74

Hi seen really nice captures. If any photographer sees your photo he should be comment to your post.

edwardo

Thats fantastic! can you post a clay shot?

Ed

Zen

clay?  perhaps this is what you meant...

Some facts about this render:

The ground is a bump map of actual moon geography in a custom metallic paint material
The Ant texture is set to translucent
The water is the default water material
Water modelling is flat where it meets the ground to ensure proper transparency rendering, and curves on the outer edges to simulate water tension
Custom Studio HDR
Gamma lowered from default by about 40%
Full Range of effects; DOF, Bloom, Vignetting
Orthographic perspective

Will Gibbons

Interesting. Is it supposed to look like water that was spilled on carpet, or cement? What's the ground material intended to look like? Very unique study.

Zen

That's open to how you choose to interpret the perspective.  The ground is not meant to be any specific surface.  It could be anything, like rock or plaster.  The water doesn't even have to be a puddle due to the perspective and DOF, the ground could actually be a wall, and the ant could be standing above a pool of it, with the water droplets dripping down rather than away. 

Will Gibbons

Sure, makes sense. On the last photo you uploaded, the bottom right hand corner was what threw me off, the texture seems odd. Still a cool rendering.

feher

Love this !!!!!!! Thanks for showing your set up too.
It's a keeper in my book.
Tim

PhilippeV8

So when can we get that book of yours, Tim ? ;) :) :D

bronson

Quote from: PhilippeV8 on January 21, 2015, 10:22:57 PM
So when can we get that book of yours, Tim ? ;) :) :D

Hahaha!!!  ;D
Spare me one copy, Tim  ;)

edwardo

Thanks Zen, its always great to see someones process. And when I asked to see a 'clay' I guess what i was asking was which parts are geometry, and what is bumped etc. You more than answered my vague question.

This is such a nice, simple shot. I'm always in awe of great shots produced from the most basic / minimal amount of geometry. As for the ground plane... I had 'read' it as ice/snow.

great work
Ed