Main Menu

Help for choose a MB

Started by Arian Shamil, January 25, 2015, 06:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arian Shamil

Hi to everybody!
Sorry me, maybe is the wrong section where to question...but i need some advice on 2011 and 2011 V3 sockets motherboard...
What are the best model to use to build a single CPU workstation (Xeon E5 V2 on socket 2011 or Xeon E5 V3 on socket 2011V3)?
I know the 2011 V3 motherboard, with X99 chipset supports ddr4 memory and they seems to be a very nice performance but i'm little worried from the DDR4 cost...So i had still to decide the platform between socket 2011 and 2011V3.....but i think is better to buy a 2011V3 board, right?
If you have any advice...I'll be very happy to listen them!
Thanks
Arian

Arian Shamil

Arian Shamil

There is no one with 2011V3 socket motherboard experience?
some advices?
Thanks again....
:(

TpwUK

i use 2011-v2 here Arian as the cost of dual v3 cpu's was way out my league as a hobbyist and the ddr4 just finalized  the nails into the ideas coffin. On twin E5-2620v2 Xeons i get 103fps on the camera benchtest scene with Windows and 96fps on OS X. DriesV and Nils are the hardware gurus here, hopefully they will chime in

Martin

Arian Shamil

Hi Martin, Thanks a ton to replied to me :)
Yeah I know the V3 platfrom has ddr4 ram and they're more expensive than ddr3....Anyway I can't afford a dual cpu system....
So I was thinking to a single cpu solution (E5 1650 V3) ...i know it is not a huge improvement but just a "good" improvement.... ;)
i saw some MB but first to purchase anything i was waiting to some advice on that....
I've assembled a lot of pc but i never used, until now, a 2011 V3 platform so i'd like to know if there are some mobos to avoid or not :)

TpwUK

Hi Arian ... If you like to overclock and have access to BIOS settings then the main two are ASUS and GigaByte boards, AsRock do some good boards too. EVGA are excellent top end game boards if you like to play games too. If you wanna go pro, then SuperMicro are well worth a look. Your choice of CPU is good too, probably the best bang per euro but not looked too deeply into that.

As a final opinion, others may disagree, but don't spend less than 200 euros on the motherboard, remember you get what you pay for, and if you're going to be a render monkey then you will need stability and reliability.

Martin

Arian Shamil

Hi Martin and thanks to replied me :D
No...overclock doesn't interest to me while i'm build a WS ;)
I need performance but stability at the same time...so...i don't want any OC.
I'm not interested to play with PC ;) I'll never install a game on my working system ;)
I'planning to build a new WS this year but it'll be mono cpu....as i writed i was thinking on a Xeon E5 1650 V3 with 32 gb ddr4 ram....
My issues are about the motherboard....all the model i had seen cost more than 200€....I saw some Asus, a MSI, an ASRock (they all have the X99 chipset).....and i saw some supermicro boards (they all have the C612 chipset)....
So i was asking....i never used a supermicro board.....

TpwUK

SuperMicro boards are excellent build quality and are pretty reliable, the only negative is that there mounting holes are non-standard, so you either have to drill new ones in you case to take the board or you have to purchase a case from them too. My recent disaster on their board has not totally put me off them, nut as a hint, don't used the rest button, stick with the on/off :)

Martin