Pivot Frustration

Started by Shutterspeed, January 24, 2015, 10:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shutterspeed

I am a one man shop and I just purchased the Pro version.  I am animating SolidWorks 2015 assemblies.  The pivot point where you select a separate part is not the true pivot.  What you need is not a part to locate around but a feature like the face of a diameter of the PART YOU ARE PIVOTING.  Picking a separate axis on another part moves the rotation point but that does not have anything to do with the part being rotated.

Shutterspeed

I just clicked off the "Dynamic Pivot Point" checkmark and it worked! :)

Shutterspeed

Forget the last post!  I forgot I had originally determined that my assembly was designed around the centerline of the pin.  I think the same issues still remain.

Rex

Hi Shutterspeed,

I'm sorry for your frustration. I believe what you are trying to do is rotate your part on the helper object's local axis. We are looking into supporting this for KeyShot 6.

Best regards,
Rex

OK

Hi Shutterspeed,

I'm busy with the same sort of thing. It would be really helpful if you could use the helper object's axis.
There are some ways of working around this to create a usable result.
Method one is to map the rotation in the xyz axis. So you'd have multiple rotation animations working at the same time. The path won't be perfect, but you'll end up where you need to.
The other method would be to adjust the original axis of the moving object. Because you can use that axis! You can either model it that way, or you can add the object you wish to move to a group. Then you rotate the group to get the axis you want. Rotate the original object back, and then put the animation on the group instead of the object. You can then use the helper object for the center of rotation, but you are using the axis of the group.
I attached an animation of the result of the second method. I hope that helps.