How to Get This Gel Material

Started by Robb63, January 15, 2015, 08:04:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robb63

Can someone offer some suggestions to get a material that looks like the teeth on this snack cup? I'm working on a child's toy using a similar material (can't show it), and I think the thickness of the part is making it tough to nail this look.

My results so far are either too dark, or almost glowing. Only the ones that are too dark seem to be clear enough, as soon as I lighten them they get too opaque. I always seem to have trouble with translucent's!!

Rex

Robb,

I suggest using the Advanced material type so you can add Roughness Transmission.

1. Set your Diffuse to black and specular to white.
2. Introduce the yellow color to Specular Transmission
3. Adjust Diffuse Transmission to a value of gray to allow some interior illumination. 
4. If necessary darken Specular Transmission to balance the brightness caused by the Diffuse Transmission.
5. Add small amount of Roughness.
6. Make your Roughness Transmission value the same or similar to your Roughness.
7. Increase samples to your preference to smooth roughness.

Robb63

Thanks once again Rex for your help. I can't wait to get back in the office to give this a try!! ;D

br3ttman

Rex,

Thanks for the detailed explanation.  Typically, I had been trying to accomplish within the plastic material alone, so I'm glad for the Advanced Material overview.  Are there a couple "starter" materials like this that you recommend in KeyShot cloud?  Your translucent "paint"/slime would be a nice upload for reference. Also, how many samples would you recommend for this material?  I see it takes quite a bit of time to render out the noise on materials like this.

Rex

I just uploaded the material to KeyShot Cloud. The number of samples depends on how smooth you want it to appear. In the example I uploaded I have it set to 32. You can probably get away with 16 just fine.

br3ttman

Rex, 

Thanks for your post.  I've downloaded your advanced translucent gel material and some other translucent plastic materials for experimentation and comparison.  One thing I noticed about the material menu picks that gave me some confusion is that there are 4 sets of "Diffuse" and "Specular" picks, one regular and one advanced for each material.  Each of the sets has "Diffuse" 1st, followed by "Specular" except the 2nd set under the "Advanced" material, they're flip flopped.  See highlighted set in the screenshot below.  Small detail, but it'd be nice to have them consistent.

Rex

Quote from: br3ttj on January 16, 2015, 06:28:08 PM
Rex, 

Thanks for your post.  I've downloaded your advanced translucent gel material and some other translucent plastic materials for experimentation and comparison.  One thing I noticed about the material menu picks that gave me some confusion is that there are 4 sets of "Diffuse" and "Specular" picks, one regular and one advanced for each material.  Each of the sets has "Diffuse" 1st, followed by "Specular" except the 2nd set under the "Advanced" material, they're flip flopped.  See highlighted set in the screenshot below.  Small detail, but it'd be nice to have them consistent.

Thanks. It has been filed in the bug tracker.

fario

Rex?

merci, thank you, domo arigato, grazzie!!!!!!!

Antoine