How do I get a High Resolution Render?-wall size (3mx4m)

Started by AbiGarza, January 15, 2015, 06:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbiGarza

Hi!
Do you know what are the best options of DPI, aspect ratio, etc. to render an image of 3mx4m?
Thanks a lot!

Will Gibbons

When doing these, such as with banners and billboards, often times, the best bet is to render out a smaller image and then simply scale up at the printer. For instance, Photoshop has limitations as well as Keyshot. When you work very large as well as with high dpi, you can run into issues.

I think your question depends on how far away the print will be viewed at (assuming you'll be printing).

Not sure how familiar you are with DPI vs PPI, but DPI is going to relate to printed goods whereas DPI doesn't relate to graphics displayed on monitors.

If you render a 5in x 5in rendering at 300dpi, and your printer prints at 120dpi, that means you can scale the print up 2.5 times before it pixelates (300/1200) 5inx2.5=12.5in

If you wanted to do something roughly 118inX157in and a commercial printer prints at 300dpi, and you render at 900dpi, then the size of your rendering should be 1/3 of the final print size. (118x157)/3 = 39.3inx52.3in

IF my math and assumptions are correct, you might print at 40inX53in at 900dpi and leave some room to crop.

I'd work with your printer to make sure an approach like I mentioned will work. Again. I'm not 100% certain, but I think this approach might work.

Speedster

Bear in mind that most really large banner printers, billboards and the like, actually print at 72 dpi.
Bill G