Flexible Ribbed Pipe

Started by thefonzzz, February 02, 2015, 05:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thefonzzz

Hi, I've had a quick look through existing threads but can't find one about this problem in particular.  I'm not an expert user so please bear with me..

I'm trying to create some simple ribbed pipe, but am running into trouble when the pipe is not a uniform shape.  Shown below is the material assigned to a simple 'arc' shape (UV mapping) and also a non-uniform shape (also UV mapping, but I've shown with colours to highlight the issue).  I can't get the rib to follow the shape correctly  :(

The model was originally created in Creo.  Having done some reading it would appear I need to create some sort of UV map for this shape - or am I missing something?  If a UV map is required, how do I go about creating one?  ???

Thanks for any help.

thefonzzz

Does anyone have any ideas, or would it be better if I posted in a different forum?

Chad Holton

Hello,

It looks like it's mapping properly but you may have two surfaces on top one another. Try hiding the black surface and then adjust the other surface (showing stripes) to your needs.

Chad

thefonzzz

Thanks for your reply Chad.

I know what you mean, it does look like the effect you get when there are two surfaces on top of each other.  Although this isn't the case your comment did get me thinking about the makeup of this part..

The model came in from a supplier and the hose and connectors are all one part - the colour of the faces defines the black hose from the steel connectors.  I tried removing the connectors in the model so I just had a hose section, therefore only one surface type on the part and it seemed to work..

Not perfect, the map is kind of pixelated in places, but the UV mapping does now follow the shape of the hose  :)

Uniting the connectors with the hose in the modelling software just brings the problem back so it seems KeyShot doesn't like multiple materials on a part that has a non-uniform shape..??  Not a problem as I will separate the parts in my assembly.

Thanks for your thoughts - it did prompt me to re-think  :)

Chad Holton

Great, glad you were able to figure it out. You may want to use a smaller value on the bump height and find that magic number - that may help with the pixilation and still have good bumpiness. Or maybe create your own custom host bump - if you do, please share.  ;)