Keyshot opacity map is fake

Started by gauravs, February 10, 2015, 01:41:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gauravs

Dear all,

i m using keyshot 5.1. and windows 7.

i accidentally come to know about a opacity map problem in Keyshot. We all know that with the help of opacity map we can make holes or cutouts in models. But opacity map looks only transparent in keyshot. Please find two attached images for that. As you can see i applied a Aluminium Circular Mesh material to a board imported from 3dsmax. Its looks awesome holes are superb. i render it as a png while including alpha. but when i brought it in Photoshop for making background changes. There is no transparency in holes. You can see this in second image with black background. 

Thanks,
Gaurav

andy.engelkemier

This happens in most rendering software. You made the holes transparent, but you didn't make them non-reflective. If your object is reflecting with metal reflections, then you can't actually see all the way through it.
Try that out. It may not work on metal in keyshot either. Keyshot has some funky materials because they try and make it "easy" for the basic users. (which causes issues for advanced users)

Flavio Hilario

Hello guys

Still no solution for this  ?
I've been trying in many ways (KS 6.1.72 now) and nothing.   :(

richardfunnell

There's no way to get what you're trying to do in a single rendering, but at the bottom of this post (https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=11603.msg57146#msg57146) I posted a workflow for creating masks in KeyShot that can transfer to Photoshop to get the result you're looking for.

Let me know if this helps.

TpwUK

This workaround will have a few people happy - Good find :)

Martin

bdesign

bdesign

I've come up with an improved workaround. After further testing of my previously posted method, I discovered that the object edges were slightly visible in some cases, notably when using the Rounded Edges feature, and that the glass material was adding an undesirable contribution to global illumination. The better solution is to apply your main, opacity-mapped material as a label to an Emissive material, with all the options unchecked. This ensures complete transparency and no contribution to global illumination from the transparent areas.

Eric

TpwUK

Good job bdesign - This is a great workaround :)

Martin

bdesign