Swirled Metal texture

Started by richardfunnell, February 10, 2015, 08:51:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richardfunnell

I recently needed a high-res swirl pattern for a metal finish and decided to make my own using the existing "swirl_bump" as the starting point.

Here are 3 options depending on the look you want. The textures are going up in the Cloud too :)

Speedster

Super!  And thanks!  Just like I used to do with a felt disc, grit and a step-step table!  BORING!!!
Bill G

ilovedividends

Richard,

Thanks for the post, I've used your work before.  I'd like to ask are you creating these in illustrator then pulling into photoshop or just saving straight to png.  I'd like to practice doing my own but I don't know the proper workflow.

Thanks

richardfunnell

Thanks ilovedividends, it actually started as an image straight from KeyShot :) I used the procedural wood as a color texture on cylinder with all the noise values at zero (on the flat material) to get the concentric circles, then took a screenshot and went into Photoshop to create the repeating pattern.

This was the quickest & easiest workflow for me, since I could also generate multiple variations in just a few seconds. For other textures I may just work in Photoshop or Illustrator; it all depends on the desired output.