“Your file does not contain 3D geometry” issue

Started by Lucky9x, February 11, 2015, 05:56:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucky9x

Hi, i recently got Keyshot 5 and when i import a Wire file i got this "famous" error message: "Your file does not contain 3D geometry". I already searched for answer but i didn't find anything relevant so i ask here.

My file containts just one object so i don't understand why it won't let me import it.

I'm using:
MacBook Pro 10.10.2
KeyShot 5 5.0.80
Alias Automotive 2015

Thanks by advance !

TpwUK

I am assuming here that you are trying to import a direct output using Alias. I have not tried importing a 'wire' directly here, but if the import offers 'Import NURBs Data' then select that and all should be fine. If you do not get that option from KeyShots' importer then you will need to export a mesh based format from Alias such as OBJ, FBX etc

Martin

guest84672

How is ALIAS installed? Is it on the same partition? The path should be Macintosh HD ▸ Applications ▸ Autodesk.

Lucky9x

Hello,

Yes Alias and Keyshot are installed on the same partition.

Keyshot doesn't offers me to "Import NURBs Data", but i will try to import an OBJ file and i let you know.

Thank you

Rex

Don't think this is related to import but any reason you haven't updated to KeyShot 5.1.66?

guest84672

You can only import Nurbs data if you have the Pro version. Also, please make sure that you upgrade to the latest version of KeyShot. However, KeyShot 5.0 already has the support for ALIAS 2015.

Lucky9x

Hello,

Sorry i didn't answer earlier but i was busy.

I imported my file as an OBJ and not a Wire and it actually worked !

Thank you everyone who has taken time to answer me, have a nice day.

Lucky.

gruntusk

I have the same problem, but in Windows 7.  The really annoying thing is that it used to work.  I've been working with Alias and KeyShot for years and up until recently I've been able to open .wire files in keyshot without a hitch.  Now every time I try to do it I get this error message.  I've been emailing someone in the support dept but so far he hasn't told me anything new or helpful, just that it should work and it works for him.  I know it *should* work, it just doesn't and I can't figure out what happened.

guest84672

gruntusk

I believe I have figured out the problem.  As usual it seems to have been my stupid mistake, but one that I don't really understand.  I had moved alias from my relatively small ssd to the much larger hd and one of the magic gremlins that run Windows didn't like it.  In true Windows gremlin fashion, it didn't make Alias run at all differently until I tried to use a wire file outside Alias.  I've since moved Alias back to the little ssd and magically KeyShot no longer gives me the problem.