Main Menu

Lantern WIP

Started by Will Gibbons, February 06, 2015, 06:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will Gibbons

Modeled this because I thought it'd be fun to learn more about light materials in KS. Upon opening up the lantern I referenced for this, I got excited to see how the light emitted from the LEDs are reflected and dispersed thought the various textures on the clear plastic. I wanted to see how it all worked in KeyShot.

I've got some details to refine on the model as well as some more renderings to do in order to show the various lenses inside. Having fun with it though. Downside: Render time... the first two (with lights on and various lenses) took 4 hours each with a decent machine. I down the samples and I'm left with white noise. I'll include that as well for reference.

cheers

guest81576

richardfunnell

+1 those look really nice :) is the ribbed surface of the glass modeled?

slater

Really good work, and light experiment...thumb up!!

feher

If you really want to see the light you have to darken the scene. That will give the illusion of the lamp being on. Also I would recommend rendering in 32bit. You will have so much more color infomation in the image to play with.
Tim

Will Gibbons

Thanks for the compliments all!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: richardfunnell on February 06, 2015, 12:46:05 PM
+1 those look really nice :) is the ribbed surface of the glass modeled?

Nope Keyshot : )

I broke each lens that needed a different texture into different surfaces by applying surface colors in SW, then just used the wavy /ribbed glass in KeyShot and adjusted as necessary.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: feher on February 07, 2015, 08:20:26 AM
If you really want to see the light you have to darken the scene. That will give the illusion of the lamp being on. Also I would recommend rendering in 32bit. You will have so much more color infomation in the image to play with.
Tim

Right on. I did a few others that I didn't post that gave more of an illuminated effect. I didn't try the 32bit though, and now that you suggest it, it seems like a no-brainer. Will do that for sure. Thanks!

Quote from: slater on February 06, 2015, 01:15:05 PM
Really good work, and light experiment...thumb up!!

I appreciate it Slater!

gomesh1977

Very nice. I have yet to try to illuminated material like this.  Good one.

Will Gibbons

So, I modeled out some details and threw it back into KS. Digging how it looks... for the most part.

- I certainly can reduce the texture on the rubber a tad bit.
- The chrome on the handle may be blown out a bit.
- Could use some more interesting lighting on the scene.

The curious thing is that when working with this model, my machine was down to anywhere between .9 and 4 fps. Is that normal when working with 4 layers of textured glass and area diffuse light? [hex core, 12 cores total, 4.5ghz, i7, 16gb ram]

When I bundled the KSP, it ends up being a whopping 270mb... more than a quarter gig... is that normal? Saving took quite a while too. Maybe 30 seconds to save, 1 min. to bundle.

Also, I rendered as 32bit Tiff... If I wanted to edit the images with Camera Raw, should I have rendered as 32bit PSD?

Thoughts?

Thanks everyone.

Rex

Are the glass ridges modeled or a bump map?

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Rex on February 12, 2015, 10:07:20 AM

Bump.

In the center are 4 LEDs with light material applied, then a plastic dome around those, then a cone-shaped lens with bump map, then a cylindrical piece that encompasses all those with bump applied, then a final layer of glass around that.

In short, 4 layers of transparent materials with bumps applied to 2 of them. Is that the issue?

Thanks.

slater

Good work man, the last pic is really a good one , and as tim feher  Always tell to a good work..is a keeper on my book!
thumb up!

Rex

Quote from: willgibbonsdesign on February 12, 2015, 11:22:23 AM
Quote from: Rex on February 12, 2015, 10:07:20 AM

Bump.

In the center are 4 LEDs with light material applied, then a plastic dome around those, then a cone-shaped lens with bump map, then a cylindrical piece that encompasses all those with bump applied, then a final layer of glass around that.

In short, 4 layers of transparent materials with bumps applied to 2 of them. Is that the issue?

Thanks.

Yeah the layered transparent materials along with the texture maps are causing the low fps.

Will Gibbons

Thanks Rex, that makes sense.