Label Scaling Frustration

Started by AronLevin, February 04, 2015, 05:19:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AronLevin

I'm new to the forum, so I apologize in advance if this has been covered.  I'm having trouble getting my "label" to import at the proper scale and having to play with it manually is far from efficient.  I don't mind tweaking it when necessary, but when I say it's off... it's WAY off.

Here's the path I'm following:  From Creo 2, I export a DXF outline of tray with several objects on it.  I import that DXF into Corel Draw X7, supposedly at 1:1 scale.  Change the line colors and export it to a PNG with transparent background, again at 1:1.  When I apply it as a label to my KeyShot 4 model, it's very small.  I wind up having to scale it up anywhere from 5-6 with many incremental nudges along the way, trying to get multiple lines to appear where they should be. 

Am I doing something wrong... or is there no way to actually bring the label in at the original size?  Any advice would be greatly appreciate!

guest84672

In KeyShot 5 you can use the actual dpi of the image which allows you to maintain the proper size.

ilovedividends

Thanks for the thread.  I have struggled similarly. 

If I wanted to do a black and white bump or maybe a  label without having to resize is there a better way than using illustrator or photoshop?  Or should you plan based on what size resolution you are exporting your keyshot files at etc?

I'm practicing doing both bumps and labels and I am also wondering what is the best file format or process to create a personal custom label/bump where little or no resizing is needed.  I've created labels where I've had to take the size down to .001 so I have a lot to learn.

thanks.

AronLevin

Thanks for that info... it's good to know and may be enough to convince my boss to upgrade.  For now, I'm stuck with 4 (that sounds worse than I mean it to).  It's a real PIA to get software validated at my company... even incremental upgrades.

Quote from: thomasteger on February 04, 2015, 05:22:51 AM
In KeyShot 5 you can use the actual dpi of the image which allows you to maintain the proper size.

Rex

The following video explains how to use the DPI settings:

http://youtu.be/xlA5HhTy0-I

jhiker

Another annoyance.. sometimes I click on a surface to apply a label and it doesn't appear. It's there somewhere, but I don't know where, so I don't know which way to move it to get it where I want it.
Is it possible to show the label outline so you can manipulate it better?

AronLevin

Quote from: jhiker on February 05, 2015, 03:19:40 AM
Another annoyance.. sometimes I click on a surface to apply a label and it doesn't appear. It's there somewhere, but I don't know where, so I don't know which way to move it to get it where I want it.
Is it possible to show the label outline so you can manipulate it better?

I've had that happen a few times too, but in my situation is was fairly easy to figure out what was going on:  My products have a lot of holes in them with items rived to the surface.  When you're placing the label, it won't show up if you click on a hole, or even on a different item than the one you're trying to add the label to.  Even when moving a label that has been placed, it will "stall" when your mouse moves across a different material.

AronLevin

Oops... that was supposed to be "...riveted to the surface".  Sorry, I'm only on my 2nd cup of coffee... still a quart low  ;D

guest84672

When you apply a label it automatically opens up the interactive position tool. As stated on the bottom of the screen simply "Click to position the label". Then click done.

jhiker

Quote from: thomasteger on February 05, 2015, 04:21:12 AM
When you apply a label it automatically opens up the interactive position tool. As stated on the bottom of the screen simply "Click to position the label". Then click done.

If only it was that simple...
There are many circumstances where that just doesn't work and you have no idea where the label is hiding - I know, it's happened many times.