Clear Glass is casting a shadow

Started by m2tts, October 14, 2010, 09:43:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m2tts

I am rendering a mask that is made from clear polycarbonate and am using the glass material to represent it. The material is casting a shadow on my face (model of a head) that looks as if were there if the mask were opaque. Am I doing something wrong or is this material broken?

Chad Holton

Can you post a screenshot?
Is there a small gap between the face and mask?

m2tts

Sorry, I cannot post a screenshot as this is sensitive data. Yes there is a gap between these objects.

Chad Holton

Try cranking up the ray bounces and click on "detailed indirect illumination" - if you haven't already.

JeffM

Quote from: cholton on October 14, 2010, 11:43:56 AM
Try cranking up the ray bounces and click on "detailed indirect illumination" - if you haven't already.

Enabling "detailed indirect illumination" should be the correct solution for this. You can find this option in the realtime options menu.

Increasing the ray bounces will slow down your realtime performance, so just try to find the minimum amount needed to get rid of any black areas in reflections or refractions.

m2tts

Here is an update. I was using the translucent "skin" material that was in the default library for the head and got the shadows cast by the glass material floating in front of the head. When I change the head material to a diffuse or leather, the glass material is no longer casting shadows. So this has something to do with the translucent material.

boogie

m2tts

Jeff or Thomas, any response about how the translucent material is behaving?

guest84672