Keyshot import of Maya FBX vs import by material

Started by guest84628, February 14, 2015, 12:30:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guest84628

I am in the process of trying to understand the different import methods and the benefits of each so I can effectively create a workflow.

This is the situation.

From the many tutorials about Keyshot on the the interwebs, the models that have been brought in from external 3d apps all have different materials assigned so Keyshot can tell the difference between each part so each material can be applied separately.

This I do understand.

However In Maya if you create a group for a example - wheelset  and within that group there are three objects
Tire
Rim
Wheel Nuts

Keyshot seems to be able to read the FBX folder structure, so in essence I can apply a material to the Group ie - Wheelset

OR

I can apply materials to each separate object within the group ie, Tire, Rim, Wheel Nuts.

Since this seems possible, what advantage would there be - in Maya to apply for example 80 different materials to a car then to import into keyshot, If keyshot can already read the FBX folder structure.

Many Thanks

guest84672

guest84628

Hi thomasteger

Thank you for your reply.

Could you kindly explain what the benefit of this would be ie - importing maya file vs FBX vs obj all with different materials, it has always been a "Monkey see Monkey do" situation and would appreciate a break down.

Many Thanks.

guest84672

Every time you go through a neutral file format you are running the risk of losing something. That's why we always recommend to use the native file format when available.