Main Menu

Flexometer

Started by IvanT68, February 22, 2017, 06:26:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

IvanT68

Thank you NM. Could you list the bits I should tweak, please? I would like to get to a better result, tuning everything up. I'm afraid my PC is too weak. It lacks in graphic card performances and it takes ages just to apply materials and lights. However I'll give it a go.

IvanT68

Hi Mattjgerard,

I like your comment  ;D.
You should consider that I started posting my projects 5 years ago on another "social" platform.
Since that platform was bought by a big Brand it lost the original intent, imho.
I left that platform and lost all of my contacts.
Then I decided to visit KS forum and with my surprise I found some of my past contacts, who post their renderings.
Compared to them I remained a rookie.
I don't have to name the owners of some fantastic shots but we all know that to reach their level of experience one has to work hard. Very hard... :'(.
Bye.

NM-92

Quote from: IvanT68 on February 28, 2017, 06:39:25 AM
Thank you NM. Could you list the bits I should tweak, please? I would like to get to a better result, tuning everything up. I'm afraid my PC is too weak. It lacks in graphic card performances and it takes ages just to apply materials and lights. However I'll give it a go.

You can edit a lot of things in Performance Mode to get a bit more FPS. The black plastic piece where you added the fillets is looking great now, though it has some weird orange reflections on the label edges. Now, comparing that piece with the other two black components (bottom one and locking slider button), one looks too shiny and the other too rough. You can get those finishes without getting too uniform results if you play with some roughness maps combined with very subtle bumps (sometimes a roughness texture is more than enough). You can do the same with the shiny yellow piece. Keep it shiny, but add some variation.

That's what i would do to push it a bit more. I could be wrong though, just my opinion, and in the end it's up to you to play with all these settings and find a particular style that suits your needs. Good luck and great work.

IvanT68

Thanks NM, I'll keep in mind your suggestions for the next step.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Ivan.
Great progress indeed.

Are wooden ground supposed to be floor planks? If so they might be a bit too small. Try scaling the textures up a bit.
Also, maybe it is just me, the way the strap is posed bending across the top of the flexometer looks a bit weird... but maybe there is a reason for it :)

Keep it up!

IvanT68

Hi Esben,

thanks for your comments.
My idea was to lay the tape meter onto a wooden table, not a floor.
The width of the planks is the same than those on a garden table I own.
Moreover, all of the dimensions of the tape meter have actually been taken from a real model with a caliper (tolerance 0.1mm).
The shape, the rest position and the thickness of the plastic band are identical to the actual device.
It was molded with that curvature.
I hope that was helpful.

Regards,
Ivan

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: IvanT68 on March 01, 2017, 02:54:55 AM
Hi Esben,

thanks for your comments.
My idea was to lay the tape meter onto a wooden table, not a floor.
The width of the planks is the same than those on a garden table I own.
Moreover, all of the dimensions of the tape meter have actually been taken from a real model with a caliper (tolerance 0.1mm).
The shape, the rest position and the thickness of the plastic band are identical to the actual device.
It was molded with that curvature.
I hope that was helpful.

Regards,
Ivan
Hi Ivan.
Cool, makes sense then. Never mind my comments  8)
Looking forward to see more from you.

IvanT68

Hi All,

here there are two more pictures.
The HDRI is now All Black; the tape meter is surrounded by a (hidden) cylindrical Emitting Cool Light; the background, where applicable, is fading to the white-ish background. Porcelain floor tiles and related grout have been modeled and patterned in Inventor. Hopefully the result is worth the extra effort.

Regards,
Ivan

Will Gibbons

Absolutely! My only suggestion would be that the grooves between the tiles look a tad deep, but many improvements over the first set of images. I'd say it was worth the effort.

IvanT68

Thanks Will.
Your comments are always welcome. I'll try and render with a more shallow groove.

Sliver

I really liked your first one with the tape extended.  But wanted to see it in a more natural environment.  The wood planks are a great touch!

The texture of the rubber grip looks great.  Only small thing is the reflections (to me) are maybe a bit too shiny in the yellow plastic and the metal bit at the end of the tape.  Maybe some slight roughness or something similar would help.

Otherwise great images!  I'd like to see more : )