stripe artifact help

Started by ultima, July 12, 2016, 12:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ultima

hi i'm constantly getting these stripe artifacts all across my rendering . please help.

ultima

more images from other renders.

Will Gibbons

Does it happen in the Real-time window if you let your rendering res up for a while?

Also, try using Max. Time or Max. Samples instead of Advanced Control in your rendering settings.

ultima

thanks for the response. doesn't happen in time max or sample max. but sample max doesn't get me the results i want. time max. it's hard to gauge how much time will get the best result... maybe if i set it to 100 hours? will give it a try, has anyone else experience this? this is shown at 100% rendering 6000x3000 px my render in window is only about 3000x2000, don't have monitor big enough to do 6000-3000 in real time to see.

Finema

Hi
Have you the same stripes artefact with an other model ?

ultima

yes every single one of them. seems to occur after i turn on the dof.

Chad Holton

Hello,

Would you be able to share a simple scene showing the issue? If so, please send to: support@luxion.com

Thanks,
Chad

Will Gibbons

Quote from: ultima on July 13, 2016, 09:35:24 AM
thanks for the response. doesn't happen in time max or sample max. but sample max doesn't get me the results i want. time max. it's hard to gauge how much time will get the best result... maybe if i set it to 100 hours? will give it a try, has anyone else experience this? this is shown at 100% rendering 6000x3000 px my render in window is only about 3000x2000, don't have monitor big enough to do 6000-3000 in real time to see.

One thing you can do to gauge how many samples will be needed is to turn on Real-time Region Rendering. Here's how. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK7gEeB6PlE Then, hit 'H' on your keyboard to bring up the HUD. Let it sit for a while and keep an eye on the samples for your region. Once the region looks good, you can note the number of samples. If you use this number of samples for Max Samples render setting, you should get pretty good results. As for time, if I don't know how long it'll take, I just set it to double the amount of time I think it will take and then when it looks good, I stop the render and save it. For this reason, I often use Max Time.

DMerz III

I have experienced this as well with both KS 6.0, 6.1 and now 6.2, as Will mentioned, we've used Max Time to patch in the problematic areas using region render, though this isn't a real solve in the long term. It's also not a feasible solution if you have large areas affected like we're seeing in your render.

Robb63

Does changing the background to a color that has more contrast to the foreground data help at all? I've had some weird lines happen similar to that when there wasn't much contrast/value difference between the two

ultima

scene sent, thanks chad.

I've also tried higher contrast scene / background it still occurs, again the stripes are more likely to occur when Dof is small (more background blurring) when it's turned off, it doesn't appear as much but i can still find it here and there on the scene.

philw

I think I'm seeing something similar...I've attached a toon sample scene that shows its easily...but it affects every type of scene. Only when using Advanced Control in the render dialogue box.

Niko Planke

Hey,

i have been trying to reproduce the issue ultima is experiencing, yet without luck.

Would anyone be able to share a scene showing this behavior.

Note: I am not referring to the second issue discussed in this thread which is resolved by increasing the contrast with the background color.

As far as i understand this specific issue is related to resolutions above 5000x3000 pixels and advanced rendering mode?

Thanks

monson67

Have you made changes in the HDRI Editor without clicking the Generate High Resolution button? I wouldn't think those marks would come from that, but looking at other reflections in the chrome makes me wonder.

Niko Planke

An other thing to try is to increase the anti-aliasing value under Render > Options > Advanced Control.

In summary:
If you experience this issue you can try to:

• Use the Maximum Samples or Maximum time rendering modes
  • Change the background to a color that has more contrast to the foreground data
  • Increase anti-aliasing value under Render > Options > Advanced Control
  • Click the Generate High Resolution for custom HRDIs
  • Use the Maximum Time mode to patch in the problematic areas in Post processing.

In case none of the above works for your model, feel free to contact us directly via: support@luxion.com