20 New Images! Render DUMPPPPP

Started by Will Gibbons, May 23, 2016, 07:35:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HaroldL

Will,
I like the Galvanized bucket shots. The spangle looks pretty good. I assume you have a Camouflage texture in there somewhere. Can't wait for the webinar to be uploaded.
I have been working on a good galv material that I can use at work. So far I have had mixed results trying to match the sheet metal we get in manufacturing because the variation in spangle, from none to a minimum similar to your bucket.

TpwUK

Dirty stapler and as Eric mentions, the back view of the marble figure is especially good!

Martin

Will Gibbons

Quote from: bdesign on February 03, 2017, 02:31:00 PM
Oh man, these are great images, Will! I really love the marble player back view shot...the lighting and material work is beautiful! Well done, man :)

Cheers,
Eric

Thanks Eric! The geometry wasn't quite dense enough for my liking on that image, but I'm glad you like the results, especially with the lighting. I appreciate it!

Quote from: HaroldL on February 03, 2017, 05:18:24 PM
Will,
I like the Galvanized bucket shots. The spangle looks pretty good. I assume you have a Camouflage texture in there somewhere. Can't wait for the webinar to be uploaded.
I have been working on a good galv material that I can use at work. So far I have had mixed results trying to match the sheet metal we get in manufacturing because the variation in spangle, from none to a minimum similar to your bucket.

Yes, the webinar should be up soon. I can supply a mat graph screen when I get a chance... actually, I'll upload the material to the cloud when I can too.

Quote from: TpwUK on February 03, 2017, 08:02:07 PM
Dirty stapler and as Eric mentions, the back view of the marble figure is especially good!

Martin

Thanks Martin! Much appreciated.

Magnus Skogsfjord

Ah man, these are great. Love the composition and lighting of that backside of the marble statue. +1 on the stapler too.

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on February 06, 2017, 07:44:34 AM
Ah man, these are great. Love the composition and lighting of that backside of the marble statue. +1 on the stapler too.

Cheers man, thanks!

Will Gibbons

Hey guys,

I was looking at Tim's post about a neon light https://www.keyshot.com/forum/index.php?topic=5060.0 and gave it a go myself. Simple concept (and it can definitely be improved). But if anyone wants a quick and easy neon tube, here's what I'd recommend. Create your neon as an emissive material with a color gradient set to view direction. Set your darker and lighter color to simulate the darker color around the edges of the neon. Then apply a solid glass material to an outer tube (that has thickness).

I've attached my KSP for anyone to play with.

A couple things I learned... at the ends of my glass tube, you see a weird reflection. It's because I created the tube as a circular sweep and then applied a fillet to that edge, leaving a small flat spot. Not ideal. Also, the view direction gradient works in a pinch, but doesn't work 100%... so if you wanted a consistent gradient where the neon color gets darker toward the edges (like a reverse-fresnel effect), you'd want to UV map it of course. Also, the anti-aliasing could be improved on mine... with the bright neon material up against a dark background/glass refraction.

Other than that, pretty straight forward.   

DMerz III

Very cool! Love the gradient effect with the view setting, works out nicely! Thanks for the insight!

Will Gibbons

Quote from: dmerziii on February 10, 2017, 08:38:51 AM
Very cool! Love the gradient effect with the view setting, works out nicely! Thanks for the insight!

Thanks, sir! : )

Will Gibbons

Quick experiment from the other day as I was informed that a clear coat can be faked in KS using the material graph. I was testing it out. In a pinch, it certainly works. I began with my custom procedural wood material applied to a taurus 'donut' (first image), then applied a plastic label. The label's color was black, with specular set to white and a 50% solid opacity map plugged into the opacity channel. The IoR was bumped up to around 5 I think. I also added a view-based color gradient to add color to the specular value. For the 3rd image, I killed the color gradient, reduced the IoR and added a slight noise bump for some waviness in the reflections. For the last one, I plugged my gradient into the diffuse channel.

Just testing out this method. Pretty interesting. Plenty of other ways you can achieve this.

TpwUK

Interesting results Will - I tried something similar to this back in the beta testing phase of KS6 trying to reproduce that mother of pearl iridescent look on the classic egg pod chair. It would be so much easier if the 'thin film soap bubble' could be assigned as a label.

Martin

Josh3D

Really convincing results Will. And I think the ends of the neon look great - looks a bit like the terminal end of a neon tube.

Esben Oxholm

Magnus Skogsfjord

Will Gibbons

Quote from: Josh Mings on February 13, 2017, 08:57:12 AM
Really convincing results Will. And I think the ends of the neon look great - looks a bit like the terminal end of a neon tube.
Thanks Josh! It was a quick exercise, but makes me want to do a proper neon sign.

Quote from: Esben Oxholm on February 13, 2017, 09:13:33 AM
Cool, Will!
Thanks a bunch for sharin.
Of course!

Quote from: Magnus Skogsfjord on February 16, 2017, 02:24:20 AM
Nice results! Gonna have to bookmark this guy.
Awesome. Yeah, never know when it might be helpful!

bdesign

Cool deal with the clear coat. I also do something similar at times, using the Metallic Paint material. Nice work :)

Cheers,
Eric