Finally dirt & grime for the CAD folks!

Started by DriesV, May 19, 2015, 12:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DriesV

Okay, the nodal material system is seriously awesome...
Endless possibilities to add subtle (and less subtle) shading variations to CAD geometry. Nodal materials and procedural textures are a killer combo!
The Material Graph is actually a lot of fun to use.

Just scratching the surface. Pun intended.

Dries

TpwUK

Most complex node graph i have seen thus far Dries :)
Great looking result too

Martin

DriesV

Thanks, guys!
This shot shows the materials a little better.

Dries

DriesV

OK, so here's a final shot with just HDRI. Thought the physical light artifacts were a bit distracting. ;)

Dries

Esben Oxholm

Nice. Although some funny stuff are happening at some of the edges, it looks quite cool. Good job!

soren

Can I ask what settings you used for the color randomize node? Just curios to see how well the node works. I primarily added it to support random color variation on curves (where it can add a random color change on a per curve basis), but always nice to see it used for other things :).

Søren

Despot

Wonderful Dries, I knew the Material editor would be right down your alley...I know what question I'd like to ask though  ;)

J

DriesV

Quote from: soren on May 20, 2015, 12:27:00 AM
Can I ask what settings you used for the color randomize node? Just curios to see how well the node works. I primarily added it to support random color variation on curves (where it can add a random color change on a per curve basis), but always nice to see it used for other things :).

Søren

Søren,

I pretty much used the standard settings. I attached a rendering where I disabled the curvature opacity texture for the Plastic material (see Material Graph above).
The result is a bunch of a sharp edged facets. Not very elegant as a standalone texture, but it works quite well to introduce some subtle tonal/... variation in the 'rust' patches.
Maybe the color randomize node can be improved to have blurred facets? ;)

Dries

soren

Ahh I see. The facets are the mesh triangles. I think what you need is procedural like camouflage but with more control over the patch size, shape and color, correct? That is much easier to blur as well. I will add this to the todo-list for 6.1.

I expect to change the color randomize to only work with curves and object ids as the seed. Just a heads up :).

DriesV

Quote from: soren on May 20, 2015, 12:14:39 PM
I think what you need is procedural like camouflage but with more control over the patch size, shape and color, correct? That is much easier to blur as well.

That sounds like it should do the trick. :)
Didn't realize the Color Randomize node was intended for curves. Learning as I go.

Dries