Main Menu

Jama`s renders

Started by jama, February 19, 2015, 02:50:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jama

Thomas, Martin.

Thank you a lot guys.
Keyshot is an awesome software. I`ve been using it in film concept art production for a while and it is just the fastest and the most reliable tool.

Last year i did some concepts for Avengers: Age of Ultron..and was all done in Keyshot.
Once i get the permission from studio, i`ll post all the work i`ve done

cheers
jama

jama

edwardo

These images are fantastic. They are also so haunting. Its weird, lately my family has been talking a lot about my late granddad, and his time in the war. He was torpedoed 3 separate times whilst in the Navy, and was eventually discharged with poor mental health as a result. He had to jump overboard in the dead of night, into choppy waters that was described exactly as this picture looks. His ship sank rapidly and the resulting vortex sucked most of the crew to their death. These images so perfectly paint a picture of those horrific times. There has been a lot of superb images on these forums, but this is a new level in terms of having raw emotion as well as technical excellence.

Pleasure viewing your work!
Ed

Magnus Skogsfjord

I totally agree with Ed on this. Fantastic images on several levels of accomplishment.

jama

Edwardo, thank you for your message.

I know what you mean.
My granddad was russian and he fought against germans. He also told us horrible stories. It was a scary period for humanity.

When i was a kid i loved stories about battleships..so i`m happy that i was able to do this small project using Keyshot.

I`ve a dozen of other pictures in progress.
Will post them later.

Thanks again for all your support!

guest84672

I'm in awe. And I don't say that often. Almost never. Maybe because I'm German. But your work is just stunning.

Now - those ships - modeled in ZBrush? Rhino? Maya?

Keep it coming. Also - Josh will reach out to you for some marketing activity.

jama

Hi Thomas,
thank you very much for your feedback. Really appreciate it.

For ship i  used a low poly model from sketchup warehouse and sculpted details in 3D coat.
The rest is sculpted in 3D-coat from scratch.

Wow, that is great..will be waiting for news from Josh.

i`ve been playing with motion blur in KS..
it is awesome.... used it on rotating blades of FW-189...
this image is very WIP..will finalize it a bit later.

cheers
jama

Speedster

Well, I think you know by now how we all feel about your art!  Simply amazing.  Yet moody and heart-tugging.

So, I'll ask the inevitable question...  If you don't mind sharing, how do you create such stunning black and white images?  They have the very difficult to achieve depth of black and shadow density that we worked so hard to get way back in the "stinky fingers" darkroom days.

Do you render in colors, then post-process?  Or do you render in various shades of black and grey, which is what I'm experimenting with now?

Is the B/W conversion done in Photoshop and tweaked with levels?  I've found, at least at my skill level, that this is iffy, usually getting one good result but damaging other tonal qualities.

I think a specialized webinar (by you, of course!) might be very valuable, especially now that B/W is making a serious comeback in the digital arts.

Thanks so much for sharing!

Bill G

chippwalters

Absolutely stunning work. Most amazing. I'm wondering, are you using the new PBR materials in 3D Coat for the textures? If so, it's working great!

jama

Hi Bill,

thanks a lot for your questions.
I`ll try my best to help.

For latest series of black and white images i set my HDRI saturation to zero..to get greyscale lighting. I used procedural textures in Keyshot so most of them were greyscale as well.

Usually i render a very low contract images, since i want to have a good range of values.
You can see it on work in progress image below..the lower one is how raw render looks like.

Everything else is done in photoshop..i use curves mainly for that..i keep my adjustment layers separate so in case i want to re-render my base image i just swap it with a new render and get the same result.

Keyshot is  great in giving you a solid base, but often it needs a bit of Photoshop tweaks. Mainly color-correction.
Also i make renders with different materials and using masks in photoshop introduce variety in textures.

Overall, i do remember times when i was struggling with color-correction a lot. I simply didn`t where to darken..where to lighten my images.
It took me a while to learn things..i read a lot of books on cinematography and composition.. once you have the fundamental knowledge it is way easier to make decisions and compose your pictures.
Hope it make sense.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
I would love to do webinar, i`ll try to find a way how to do it.

jama

Hi Chippwalters,

i did not use PBRs on these images.
however i started testing it this week.

And they are amazing.
Here is a quick test with PBRs done in 3Dcoat and imported to Keyshot.

Also Keyshot mold materials are very powerful, you can see them on the body of binoculars.

cheers
jama

chippwalters

Thanks for sharing. Ever use  Camera grain filter in your pictures? It seems like they might benefit from it...

HLeandre

Amazing work as usual.

I'm looking forward to learning from you through your webinar.  ;)

jama

Hey  guys,
apologies for massive post.

But i wanted to share images from a new project i`m working on.

All the ground work was done in 3D.
I sculpted the terrain in 3D-coat using elevation maps or pictures taken from space.

Additional details came from multiple bump maps available now in Keyshot 6.
I was honoured to have an access to beta version and i`m very pleased with what i`ve seen.

Additional atmosphere was painted in Photoshop.

Some work in progress images will follow.

jama

Some raw renders from Keyshot 6, wireframes and 3d sculpted terrain.