Disable or hide object shadow

Started by Justin Desilva, February 24, 2015, 02:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin Desilva

I often import 3d geometry in the form of arrows to be used for action renderings. I'd like to disable the arrow feature ability to cast shadows so the arrows appear like they are pasted on top of the scene. Is this possible in KeyShot 5, if not, maybe a future version?

guest84672

If you asking an emissive material, then you can do it. Keeping the intensity low will minimize the glowing effect.

Justin Desilva

Thanks Thomas.

I didn't think I could modify an emissive material and maintain a high chroma. I deselected Visible in reflections and Visible in shadows and modified the rgb value to match the specified color. Here's a screen capture of a plastic and emissive material.

Justin Desilva

Thomas,

Being that you discovered a solution to this post I'd like to move this post to it's appropriate category. Can I re-submit the post from "Wish List" » "What would you like to see in KeyShot in the future?" to "Technical Discussions" » "Materials" ?

Meaning, can KeyShot modify the forum posting options so I can re-arrange where specific posts should belong?

andy.engelkemier

Actually, I'd still keep it open. It's still a good thought. If I have a curved arrow, I probably want it to receive shadow. I just don't want it to cast shadow.

Your box on the left looks like it has some nice shading to it. Your box on the right is pretty darn flat. You might as well have added it in using Illustrator in many cases.

If this could be done on Other objects I would appreciate it. For instance glass. Many people have problems with shadows on glass. Clear objects should only cast shadow when they bend light. A window's light bending is negligible, so should it's shadow creating ability. In order to render light how you want it through a window, you'll likely have to turn on caustics, which adds other problems and takes Way to long to render. But there is a simpler solution. Don't let it cast shadow at all. In keyshot, I assume that also means it needs to be excluded from the GI solution. For transparent objects, that should be fine. Plus, if you don't want something to cast shadow for some reason, it will likely have to be excluded anyway or it will still appear to cast shadow.

Anyway, it's still a good request. I wouldn't move it.

Speedster

I agree- this is a good issue, so leave it here.

My 2 cents- add the ability to adjust shadow depth (darkness?) to suite our design intent rather than be physically correct.  We often have to double up shadows as layers in post to achieve this.

Bill G

edwardo