B&W - DM602 S2 Speaker

Started by Magnus Skogsfjord, March 02, 2015, 01:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magnus Skogsfjord

Sunday project. Don't get quite the hang of the overview shots i think. Feedback is appreciated:) Was satisfied with a couple of close-ups.

NX9 + KeyShot. Minor post editing.

TpwUK

That's a good use of materials and colours - I like them all, but the close-ups have the edge to me.

Martin

richardfunnell

The close-ups are spot on! All of the modeled detail really adds a lot to the images, so of course it's nice to see that :)

For the overview image, can you reference similar product shots? My first reaction was to go to the Klipsch website (whose products I love), and I found this nice image on their main page.
My intent isn't to hijack your concept; when I hit a wall on a composition I always try to find new sources of inspiration.

Looking forward to seeing it progress!

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: TpwUK on March 02, 2015, 11:01:26 PM
That's a good use of materials and colours - I like them all, but the close-ups have the edge to me.

Thanks Martin, appreciate that.

Quote from: richardfunnell on March 03, 2015, 02:42:21 AM
The close-ups are spot on! All of the modeled detail really adds a lot to the images, so of course it's nice to see that :)

Thank you! Yes, I wanted to add as much geometric detail as I possibly could. My computer went on full throttle for a while when generating that hexagon pattern.

Quote from: richardfunnell on March 03, 2015, 02:42:21 AM
For the overview image, can you reference similar product shots? My first reaction was to go to the Klipsch website (whose products I love), and I found this nice image on their main page.
My intent isn't to hijack your concept; when I hit a wall on a composition I always try to find new sources of inspiration.

That was exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I often get kinda stuck in these dark and somewhat flat overview images. Thanks for the tip, Richard! I'll check it out and see if I can find some time to push it further.

edwardo

Nice one! I have these speakers and your materials look spot on! I moved house about 5 years ago and still haven't unpacked and set my system up yet! They are awesome speakers!

Speedster

Well, I have to say these images are a joy, and a fine tribute to what I personally believe are the finest speakers on the planet! These could easily fit into their branding and promo material. I'll never forget the feeling when I heard our first self-recorded and mastered CD running at 300 watts on a pair of their 800 Series Diamond speakers!  Of course, at some $24,000 a pair, not a surprise!

Yours are very similar to the KRK V-8 powered monitors we use in our own studio (ya, I wear a lot of hats!) and the cone fabric is absolutely over-the-top!

The Bowers & Wilkins website is an awesome example of the finest photography (rendering?) in the business, and well worth all of us exploring for inspiration.  Below is just an example. 

Great job!

Bill G

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: edwardo on March 03, 2015, 04:48:17 AM
Nice one! I have these speakers and your materials look spot on! I moved house about 5 years ago and still haven't unpacked and set my system up yet! They are awesome speakers!

I have these myself and I love them! I recently upgraded my surround system, where these two guys were a part of the total package. I decided to just upgrade the amplifier, and use the DM's in a stereo setup. Amazing how much difference there was just by upgrading the amp. And I agree, they are awesome speakers!

Quote from: Speedster on March 03, 2015, 07:30:42 AM
Well, I have to say these images are a joy, and a fine tribute to what I personally believe are the finest speakers on the planet! These could easily fit into their branding and promo material. I'll never forget the feeling when I heard our first self-recorded and mastered CD running at 300 watts on a pair of their 800 Series Diamond speakers!  Of course, at some $24,000 a pair, not a surprise!

Yours are very similar to the KRK V-8 powered monitors we use in our own studio (ya, I wear a lot of hats!) and the cone fabric is absolutely over-the-top!

The Bowers & Wilkins website is an awesome example of the finest photography (rendering?) in the business, and well worth all of us exploring for inspiration.  Below is just an example. 

Great job!

Bill G

That was some feedback, Bill. I really appreciate your kind words! I don't think I can even imagine how the sound is from the speakers you are describing. $24,000 worth of B&W speakers with a decent amp must really lay the foundation for proper eargasms (in lack of better words). Great tip for inspiration by the way! I haven't even thought of looking at their website.
(I looked at the paint on your attached image and I thought: definitely render. Then I noticed the wood details.)

edwardo

I tell a lie.... I have the 686's (or their predecessors). They are better than my ears, they make MP3's sound like sh!t however. I would like a nice wee valve amp one day, and a linn sondek for me old vinyl I still have lying around.

Back to your images though... Love em. My only criticism is that the tweeters are a bit colourful, maybe need de-saturating a tiny bit!? The close up of the B&W logo is perfect!

ed

Magnus Skogsfjord

Quote from: edwardo on March 04, 2015, 03:15:31 AM
I tell a lie.... I have the 686's (or their predecessors). They are better than my ears, they make MP3's sound like sh!t however. I would like a nice wee valve amp one day, and a linn sondek for me old vinyl I still have lying around.

Seems like you are more into sound systems than I am. I just got an affordable Onkyo receiver. Not optimal for a stereo setup, that is.. But it still does the trick for my ears :) Also nice that it's got spotify integrated.

Quote from: edwardo on March 04, 2015, 03:15:31 AM
Back to your images though... Love em. My only criticism is that the tweeters are a bit colourful, maybe need de-saturating a tiny bit!? The close up of the B&W logo is perfect!

You are quite right about the colors. I tried to tone it down in another high res image.