Reflection Maps

Started by jbomb, October 22, 2010, 08:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbomb

Hi Guys,

Forgive me for this question as I am sure most of you will see this as very basic.

I will give a simple example which will hopefully explain what I am asking.

Hypothetically:
I have a building which is in keyshot. I want to use the start-up environment but also want lovely sky reflections in my windows using a jpeg I have. I can’t seem to find where you can add individual reflection maps - I have tried back plates but again can’t seem to turn it off but still use as a map?
Hope that makes sense?

Chad Holton

Hi jbomb,
Can you apply the sky JPG as a texture to the windows, while using any environment?

jbomb

Thanks for the reply.

Would that still appear as a reflection though as opposed to a solid texture?
Also if you use glass as a material you can only apply a bump map.

The environment works well for what I am talking about as it still casts nice reflections while turned off. But its when you want to use the startup environment but still have an image casting reflections over the model - Thats when I get stuck!

KeyShot

You may have to use two passes to accomplish this. One pass with the startup lighting and another pass with a sky environment. You can use constant colored windows in the first pass to isolate them for a subsequent compositing step in photoshop.

Chad Holton

I was thinking using the good ol' general material for this but compositing would look the best.