Gloss/roughness control

Started by HermanCarlsson, March 29, 2015, 12:31:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HermanCarlsson

How can you create realistic materials without being able to control gloss/roughness with a texture/map? I can understand the need to keep it simple but without this basic feature you simply can't.

Esben Oxholm

Hi Herman.
Is it possible for you to elaborate what you mean?

It sounds like you are asking for the roughness slider which is present in, if not all, most material types.

Best regards

HermanCarlsson

The roughness slider is good when the material have the same gloss/roughness all over but that is rarely the case with real materials.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: HermanCarlsson on March 29, 2015, 01:31:01 AM
The roughness slider is good when the material have the same gloss/roughness all over but that is rarely the case with real materials.

oh, true. I misread your first post. Sorry.
Can you show some examples where a roughness map would be useful. Not that I doubt you at all, I just can't see where I would use it in the type of work I am creating.

HermanCarlsson

Here are some examples where a gloss/roughness map/texture is needed. Unless your material is 100% clean and/or 100% homogeneous a gloss/roughness map would help.

Esben Oxholm

Thanks for the examples.

You have the possibility to use a specular map and a bump map. 
What will the gloss/roughness map give, that you can't achieve using the spec+bump maps?

HermanCarlsson

In all of the examples above the gloss/roughness value varies. Here is a more obvious example:

Esben Oxholm

Thank you for your patience Herman.

After experimenting a bit with the specular map, I realized that it controls the amount of reflection, while a roughness map would control how much the light gets scattered.

I should have realized this long ago  :P

Despot

There is no way of driving roughness with an image map or procedural in KeyShot 5... this is something I have wanted for a long time, hopefully it will be added in future versions.

KeyShot

HermanCarlsson