Keyshot Vs. Vray

Started by anagnam, April 04, 2015, 07:39:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anagnam

I am really impressed by the amount of realism KeyShot can provide in the shortest amount of time.
Unfortunately, I seldom see it used in the Architectural and Interior visualization and more on product viz.

I personally believe that KeyShot has huge potential to compete with the de facto standard for Architectural and Interior visualization (which I believe currently is Vray) but I want to know your thoughts on this matter.

Can KeyShot compete with Vray to produce high-end Arch viz?
What do you think?

TpwUK

The introduction of Indirect Bounces and some material tweaks plus a sun-sky editor suggests the KS is indeed starting to tip toe into the interior rendering arena and architectural visuals. As a landscape garden designer these improvements to the render engine are encouraging me to keep experimenting with these features.

In the next few days i will hopefully be posting my Japanese garden design that i am doing for my wife so keep coming back and watch this space :)

Martin

edwardo

I don't know huge amounts about it, but I feel like keyshot doesn't have the preferred type of GI for interior spaces, yet. Certainly with their indirect bounces and light materials things are going in the right direction, but V-ray has the edge at the moment (at the cost of being pretty horrible to use). My hope is that in a few updates I won't even be considering any other renderer (for interiors etc) - Keyshot is as close to 'fun' to use as your gonna get with software!

My dream is that one day Keyshot will be the renderer of choice for interiors, and as an extra easter egg, I'd love to see the ability to import a (closed) environment/room geometry, place the camera wherever then hit "export HDRI", generating a decent HDRI of that interior space. This could then be used as a time saver when producing close up shots (when the space itself doesn't need to be rendered as such, just the product in question). I want this because there is a SERIOUS lack of good interior hdri domes to use.

Ps, the other thing that is so important with interior shots is some kind of lens correction (to keep all your vertical lines as parallel as possible), Keyshot doesn't seem to have that yet, but I'm sure it could be very easily incorporated.

ed