Rendering at very high resolution with missing files.

Started by chinustud, April 07, 2015, 12:03:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chinustud

Hi,
I am trying to render an image of 100x100 Inches at 300dpi main purpose for it being printed for a hoarding. I am not using a workstation so I am limited to resources. I somehow managed to make Keyshot render an image that large. I render Jewelry and being CAD models, they are quite heavier than Poly models.  It took around 24 Hrs to finish the render on my i7 and 8 gigs of RAM. I usually output with layers and PNG format. After the render was finished, and after I closed the render window, I went in to see the path at which the render was saved. I don't know why but the images were not yet done saving (showing 0kb file size and no thumbnail preview). I thought Keyshot is still processing the images since its a large render and I was right. So there was no other option than to wait. After around ~2 hrs only 3 layers out of the 4 were saved and also the main base layer was still to be saved. After some time keyshot just went back to normal and it didnt save the Main Base layer and the remaining 1 layer. Not I am just with 3 layers with nothing to put it on. Can someone please help me out with this?

Rex

Hey chinustud,

What version of KeyShot are you using? Are you updated on the latest - 5.2.10?

Thanks,
Rex

chinustud

Yes Rex, I have the latest updated version at 5.2.10.

Rex

Here is what one of our developers said:

"If it is a laptop with a slow disk which is severely fragmented without much space left saving can take a long time. Also, 8 GB ram is not a lot so possibly he is using swap space to store the image (which would be up to 1 GB per render layer)."

Perhaps defragmenting your disk and clearing your hd of any unnecessary files could potentially speed up the process. However, I rendered out the same size image with render layers and passes on my machine which has 32GB of RAM and about 200GB of free disk space and it still took a few minutes for the images to load once the render was complete. So it seems that for an image this large you have to expect some processing time once the render is complete.

chinustud

I am using a desktop and the processor is i7-4770k 3.50ghz not overclocked. I also had around 200gb of free disk space while I queued the render. I agree that 8GB of memory is not a lot, so I tried to free up every bit of memory before I started the render. Defragmenting the disk didn't come to mind so I will try that and let you know. I also had one more question. Whenever there is an error from Keyshot while rendering very high resolution images saying that it is out of memory, does it  point towards the lack of RAM and not the video memory? And is there any way to know what will be the largest resolution that Keyshot can handle on a specific configuration before running out of memory? And will increasing memory on my system solve much of my problems for rendering at large resolution?

Thanks for your reply Rex.