Main Menu

copy/paste position

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 15, 2015, 05:52:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

You have a scene set up. All is good. Now someone says, "lets split this part up into 3 pieces, and do the exact same rendering...oh, with all 6 versions."

Great, now you have to import them, write down all the translation and rotations for each one( they are different because they are slightly different sizes), and then apply those one field at a time to the 6 new models.

Or you could copy the position from one, then just apply it to another. DONE. 6 steps instead of 30 steps. or 54 steps if you Really had all the things moved around. I'm going to guess you only changed tranlation and a couple rotations though.

richardfunnell

Why not use Scene Sets to manage all of this?

andy.engelkemier

Since scene sets is nearly undocumented, would you care to share?
We have attempted using scene sets in the past, and if it didn't crash, or mess up our file, we couldn't find a use for it.

My intended use before was being able to have different settings for the environment on each camera. But it caused the base set to reset it's materials. That quickly went on our, 'do not touch this feature' list. And I haven't seen specific updates since.

But from what I understand of it, that's not what I'm looking for. Am I missing something?

richardfunnell

It sounds like you may be mixing up Viewsets (camera + environment settings) and Scene sets.

Scene sets will allow you to create variations of your scene tree (position, materials, on/off visibility), and you can see a quick tip here: https://youtu.be/HsbAnGhwSBg
If you're a SolidWorks user, this is similar to creating a configuration.

Viewsets are simply a combination of all of your camera settings and the environment settings in your realtime view. Instead of selecting "Save camera" from your camera tab select "Save Viewset"
This also includes background images/color settings, ground shadows, etc.

Using both of these will allow you to control complex scenes with multiple variations of the same model with specific camera/environment combinations.
After creating a Scene set, you can assign a camera or viewset to be used whenever it's active.

andy.engelkemier

So if you were to do something like....split one part into 3 parts instead of one, in your modeling software, since Keyshot can't do it, then you have to reimport your model and do All of that again?

I'm still not sure how this is supposed to help me with an imported file. I still have to import the file and position it. From what I can tell, scene sets are really only useful once you know for sure there are no changes. And I'm not sure what designers/engineers You've worked with, but that's pretty much something that doesn't exist. Something Always changes.

jhiker

I am not that well practised with Scene sets or Viewsets but I can see they could be very useful though I found putting them in to practice rather confusing.
Anyway, here's a reply from support that may help your understanding.

Viewset:
You can open the Project window
Go to the Environment tab
Make your environment changes
go to the Camera tab
click the "+" button with drop down
and select "Add viewset" (see screenshot)

Scene set:
Here is a brief explanation. In KeyShot, you can save different camera angles. You can also make changes to the environment. Camera + environment changes = Viewsets.
You first select your camera/environment settings and then you save your camera/viewset.

In KeyShot, you can save part materials, visibility, and position in a scene set. You first create the scene set and then you make the changes to the geometry. Changes made to the geometry are only saved in the active scene set (including the Default scene set). Scene sets CANNOT save changes to the camera or the environment.

Moving on to a more advanced scenario. Let' say that you want to combine a scene set with a certain viewset. You can simply go to the scene set's properties and select the desired viewset from the Camera dropdown (see screenshot). When you associate a viewset with a scene set and you make the scene set active, then the viewset will also become active.

In summary, Scene sets only save changes to the parts. If you want to save changes in the viewset, then you need to do so from the Camera tab in the Project window(as usual). Scene sets are created first, then automatically saved. Cameras/Viewsets must be saved manually every time you edit them.

You can find all of our tutorials here: https://www.keyshot.com/learning/tutorials/

andy.engelkemier

Something that is designed to save you time shouldn't have such inflexibility nor cause confusion. I'll still stick with doing these things manually.

But back to the task at hand. Since scene sets does Not solve the problem, copying and pasting position would come in handy. Alternatively I could use a 'match position' command like the one in Bunkspeed. With your part selected, you choose to match position and then you just select the part you would like to match to.

I'm just looking to solve one Very simple problem. I want to take going back and forth to copy down numbers down to one step.