Perfecting "ease in/out" animations

Started by Winch Doctor, April 22, 2015, 04:11:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Winch Doctor

Hi Keyshot,

When animating, I love to use the "ease in/out" settings, and to a lesser extent, ease in or ease out separately. One improvement that would be very helpful with these settings is to be able to alter the acceleration/deceleration. It seems to automatically be related to the length of the animation itself, and the only way I can currently control it is by layering two or more animations together.

I was thinking just a time setting, such as "accelerate/decelerate over {} seconds", though replacing seconds with frame count would also be extremely useful.

I realize that for people just animating an exploded view of a product, this might be overkill. Our company has become interested in Keyshot for animating our machinery though, and this would be very helpful for creating realistic movements.

guest84672

I like the idea. Added to the list of things for discussion.

br3ttman

Yes, this would be a very nice tool to be able to adjust duration for ease-in/ease-out.  It'd also be nice if you could create an adjustable ease-in/ease-out curve.  For example, I have animations where I'd like to accelerate an object down hill, or the motion of a bouncing ball.

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: br3ttj on April 26, 2015, 04:57:13 PM
It'd also be nice if you could create an adjustable ease-in/ease-out curve.  For example, I have animations where I'd like to accelerate an object down hill, or the motion of a bouncing ball.

+1
Would enhance the animation feature a lot! :)

Ryan Fenik

I would like to see "Back" easing, with "Back Ease In", "Back Ease Out", and "Back Ease In-Out", perhaps with options to edit elasticity.  It would help make animations look less "computery". 

• Back ease in would initially dip below the starting value before accelerating towards the end.

• Back ease out would overshoot the end value.

• Back ease in-out initially dips below the starting value before accelerating towards the end, overshooting it and easing out.

Winch Doctor

The more I think about it, the more I'm in love with the idea of a visual curve that can be manipulated. The system of using key frames and bezier curves with drag-able handles similar to Adobe Premiere Pro would save a tremendous amount of space on the timeline.

Making a translation could still be along a single axis, but if I could create a sine wave between two values that the object follows, I would be creating one single animation with that sine wave instead of 4 separate translations that I would have to group. Manipulating it would be much easier. I've never used attachments before so I don't know who can see it, but I attached a basic drawing just in case I'm not being clear. Maybe the drawing won't be clear either X)