Main Menu

autocollapse layer

Started by andy.engelkemier, April 24, 2015, 05:36:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

if you select a part it automatically shows you where it is in your parts tree. That's nice. But we generally have hundreds of parts, usually on each layer. So that doesn't really help. It doesn't hurt either.....Until you need to turn a layer on/off. Now you have to go back over to the parts tree scroll way up to the top, collapse it, and go from there.

If you didn't do anything else in the file tree, then the part gets deselected, collapse that branch.

My actual preference would be to only highlight the layer the object is on. If I want to expand everything to the actual part, I'll expand each one myself. It's not often I want to.
Now, you run into a small issue with that as far as position and material tab at the bottom, so I understand that. It could be confusing to see a group name highlighted, but see the part name at the bottom. An alternative could be to show the part tree with everything Still collapsed, except for the parent and the part.
So you might see Root>group1>groupA>part6 instead of
Root>group1>groupA groupB groupC groupD>part1 part2 part3 part4 part5 part6 part7 part8 etc
with part6 highlighted.

This way, you see where the part is, without all the mess. If you have 80 parts on a layer, you actually don't see it's parent. So, not actually useful.