locked camera

Started by rtyer, April 26, 2015, 03:14:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rtyer

Perhaps meaning is wrong.
But.
I create a camera, apply lens say 90mm.
I frame the scene exactly select lock camera use another camera to position lights.
Come back to "locked camera" view is different.
Know this is stupid but scene is rendered in a three hour render.
Saved to Photoshop,
Have to come back and redo something and the view changes, so realigning is impossible.
How do I lock a camera, go to another camera, come back to original view.
Thank you

guest84672

Make sure to save the camera.

Speedster

Best Practice is to save each camera, lighting and backplate as a "Viewset" from the dropdown menu.  Then when you move on and then come back to the Viewset it will be exactly as you want each of them.
Bill G

rtyer

Sorry, my fault, was not explicit enough.
I create camera etc, render scene, while KeyShot is still open, after render is complete.
wish to fine tune things such as lighting position etc.
In the KeyShot scene that is open, I lock the camera, go to anther camera to make
adjustments, come back to "Locked " and the view changes.
I wish to create a scene an lock the camera firmly while the scene is open.
I wish to use another "unlocked" camera to change things and come back to
my original framed locked camera.
In this way I can rerender and composite together.
Unless I am misreading the Key shot concept of Locked.
To me if you lock a camera, that framed view should remain the same always.
Understand that if I save it at certain point the view at that time will save.
I wish to keep it locked while the program is open

guest84672

I still don't understand. Just save the camera or viewset, and then come back to it. Just like Speedster recommended.

Speedster

First, understand that KeyShot IS the camera.  There is only one camera, and you cannot lock a view (camera) and then "add" another camera.

You can create unique "Viewsets", each of which is the sum and total of all camera view and all camera settings, the HDR lighting and the backplate.  Each Viewset is unique to that particular setup or "camera" if you will.

Now, as a test- set up a simple scene, like a simple part.  Choose an HDR lighting environment.  Apply a color to the part.  Add in your choice of backplate.  Then compose your image, go to the Camera tab, and click on the little + at the top right-hand corner.  In the dropdown, select "Add Viewset".  It should show up below as "Viewset 1".  Now go up to the bar just below the top tool bar.  You will see a blue "Tumble Camera" icon. Immediately to the left of it is an icon that looks like a camera with a padlock.  This is the "Lock Camera" icon.  You can "lock" it, but to change to a new Camera, you have to "unlock" it.

I always lock the camera with this icon so I can easily play with lighting and other stuff without the risk of moving the camera.

Now, create a new "Camera",  change your lighting properties, direction, etc.  Don't change anything else. Go back to the Camera tab and click again on the +, and add a new Viewset.

Now go back to the window and change everything, move the camera angle, etc. change the HDR or backplate, whatever.  Repeat the Camera instructions above.

You will now have created three (or many more) different Viewsets.  You can return to any of them at will simply by selecting the appropriate Viewset. Each Viewset can be renamed, but I always end the rename with Viewset just for reference, as I often save a "Camera" as well.  But understand that saving a "Camera" does not save all the other parameters.

Note that Viewsets do not include material changes, however.

Hope this is clear...

Bill G

Esben Oxholm

Quote from: Speedster on April 27, 2015, 11:17:12 AM
There is only one camera, and you cannot lock a view (camera) and then "add" another camera.

It sounds strange to me that you can't do that. I do it all the time.

Find a nice angle with the "Free Camera" > Add camera > Rename the new camera and lock it with the padlock > Go back to the "Free Camera" and find a new angle > Add camera > etc...

Afterwards I can easily change between all the locked cameras.

guest84672

Good point, Esben. Thanks!

rtyer

Thank you to Speedster and Esben for your response.
Keep in mind that I haven't the slightest idea of what I am doing in this area.
But for my purposes both of you are right and both of you are wrong.
You have both illustrated what my problem is.

I create a scene in KeyShot, human figure with clothing . Set the light, material, camera angle etc
I lock the existing camera (Camera 0)
Everything at this point is great. I hit render. Should point out that my average render takes over two hours for reasons left unstated.
Render is done, Key Shot  program is still open.
I open the rendered image in Photoshop and notice a small glitch, something that can be corrected by a light adjustment, material, but most of the image is still good, in other works the original image that took two hours to do can be used in conjunction with the new correct one.
Provided the images match.

KeyShot is still open, the camera has been locked all this time, I go back create a new camera to make my adjustments......the locked camera has changed positions.

Or, go back to the original image, import something that updates geometry, the locked camera viewpoint immediately changes, if I had not saved the scent the exact view would have been lost.

In a lot of the programs I use, a locked camera means the camera is locked.

In KeyShot a locked camera means.... maybe.

Thanks to both of you, will persist in establishing a "workaround".
At least now I know it is not me.

rtyer

Thank you Speedster, concept of Viewset was the answer.
This problem caused me so many hours of grief.
Appreciate it.

rtyer

Thanks to Speedster, solved the problem of "locked camera"....kind of.
OK
I render full scene in KeyShot, program stays open, cameras is never moved.
Now.
I go back to scene listing and hide parts, rerender, settings exactly the same
When I bring this "partial" scene in to the original scene in Photoshop the parts
are totally out of alignment.
Why?
Would I be correct in stating that KeyShot is not a program that lends itself to compositing?

Libellso

Quote from: rtyer on May 05, 2015, 05:16:14 AM
Thanks to Speedster, solved the problem of "locked camera"....kind of.
OK
I render full scene in KeyShot, program stays open, cameras is never moved.
Now.
I go back to scene listing and hide parts, rerender, settings exactly the same
When I bring this "partial" scene in to the original scene in Photoshop the parts
are totally out of alignment.
Why?
Would I be correct in stating that KeyShot is not a program that lends itself to compositing?

Hello :)

I know it's been a long time that this message was posted but, this problem is totally my problem.
Actually, the problem is when I move the Keyshot window or the "menu" at the left, it deforms the camera view... It's annoying!
I can't re calculate some piece of images and patch them on the first render on photoshop without replace exactly the Window at the same place like the first render.
Can someone have a solution please?

INNEO_MWo

yeah, with your screenshots w can see what's going on.

Tip 1: go to "image" tab in your project dialog - choose a preset or define your resolution an lock it
Tip 2: work with un-docked windows, so the size of the KeyShot window or the dialogs won't change your resolution (and camera position)
Tip 3: maybe you can work with an extra screen

may that helps?

Libellso

Quote from: MWo on November 23, 2015, 06:00:34 AM
yeah, with your screenshots w can see what's going on.

Tip 1: go to "image" tab in your project dialog - choose a preset or define your resolution an lock it
It is the good solution! Thank you very much :)

Tip 2: work with un-docked windows, so the size of the KeyShot window or the dialogs won't change your resolution (and camera position)
Tip 3: maybe you can work with an extra screen

may that helps?