Hyperloop Interior

Started by chippwalters, April 27, 2015, 01:49:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chippwalters

I'm working on this rendering and have some questions:

The interior geometry looks like:

Because it the Hyperloop, it has NO windows (the clouds are displayed on an extreme HD flexible display). I've set it up with a BOX around to contain any light leak:

This means the entire interior is lit with area lights and emissive materials. I believe there are around 64 spot area lights and a few dim emissive materials.

This is the image as it finished rendering for 4.5 hrs:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/argodesign/HyperLoop/Renders/test.jpg

VERY NOISY. I've the ray settings at 12 and the shadow at 2. GI is ON.

• What other global settings should I use which can speed this up?
  • Are point lights faster?
  • Is it better to have one long area light vs 64 smaller ones?

Any help would be MUCH appreciated!

guest84672

You may want to increase your sample settings as well. 64 lights is certainly hefty, so it will take time to render. I would think that a single light is definitely faster than a bunch of individual ones.

We are making a number of improvements to the lighting algorithm for KeyShot 6. Scenes like this should definitely be faster.

Can you share the KSP file for testing?

chippwalters

Thanks Thomas for your quick reply.

Here's a link to the scene, it's still a WIP
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/argodesign/HyperLoop/BIPS/InteriorCabinFirstClass02.ksp

So, I assume you increase the sample settings in Render settings under Advanced?
I will try using a single LONG area light instead of the many.

BTW, is there anyway to tell HOW LONG a render took? I'm frequently away from my machine when it finishes and would like to be able to know how long a render took in order to better optimize my settings. Thanks!

guest84672

Thanks for sharing. It is definitely faster in KeyShot 6.

There really isn't a way of telling how long a rendering took when using advanced settings or max samples.

chippwalters

Thanks for you help. I ended up taking your advice. I created 2 large invisible area lights directly in front of the 'windows' and I set all the small area point lights to FLAT (left only a couple as emissive), added some bloom and it speeded up significantly.

Here's a render set at 128 samples and took 20 min.

I jacked up the sampling to 256 and doubled the size of the render (as before 1920 x 1080) and it's rendering now....should be done in 3 hours.

2 Questions: Is there any log for render times?
and have you guys thought about automated LUTs? They're pretty easy to do and REALLY add a lot to INTERIORS.
Check out:
https://youtu.be/HR_Mj8o-tQ4

chippwalters

Here's the final render. I'll still need to add more in POST...

guest84672

Awesome!

As far as LTU goes, this is essentially what we are doing with the monitor color calibration. This is also implemented using Look Up Tables constructed from the ICC profiles.

I hope this helps.

Speedster

Really beautiful design, and the "windows" work perfectly!  Perhaps the perforated (leather?) upholstery is just a tad too shiny?
Bill G

chippwalters

Quote from: thomasteger on April 28, 2015, 11:04:25 AM
Awesome!

As far as LTU goes, this is essentially what we are doing with the monitor color calibration. This is also implemented using Look Up Tables constructed from the ICC profiles.

I hope this helps.

Thanks. From what I know, LUT is different than ICC. In fact you allow "tone mapping" in the render window where you can adjust the white point, but AFAIK you just don't allow it in the project settings. It would be great if you could adjust it for the project.

Also, never did hear back regarding finding out how long a render took. Thanks again.

chippwalters

Quote from: Speedster on April 28, 2015, 11:06:55 AM
Really beautiful design, and the "windows" work perfectly!  Perhaps the perforated (leather?) upholstery is just a tad too shiny?
Bill G

Hi Bill,

Thanks for the feedback. I'll roll back the specular on the leather.

guest84672

No way to say how long a rendering took not unless you use network rendering.