Issues with Reflecting Surfaces

Started by Dominic Fasino, May 01, 2015, 05:24:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dominic Fasino

Hi Guys,

I have just started to mess around with some dynamic lighting situations in rooms scenes. I feel like I am already getting some interesting results. I'm trying to figure out what is happening and why, so if anyone could give me some tips or ideas that would be great.

1.One of my first questions is when I render the scene out even on max settings in advanced I seem to get a lot of spotting even when my settings are maxed out. (see Advanced Render). please ignore the blurry look in frustration I cranked up max everything on the render including pixel blur  ::)

2.Timed renders seem to fix the issue with the spotting I'm pretty happy about the results in the (see Timed Render Solid Shelves) it is a little grainy though.

3. Timed render for the glass shelf fixed the spotting in the center of the two units but not above the shelves on the left side of the picture (see Timed Render Glass Shelves). I'm assuming that is the reflections off the glass shelf from the skylights above. My settings are literally the highest they can go in the render window so I don't know what I can do to smooth that out I'm starting to think it may be the geometry of the glass or the material of the glass.

Any pointers at all would be greatly appreciated!

Other info is the wall is paint and so is the unit. There is no glass in the windows because of the weird result I was getting.

Cheers!

guest84672

KeyShot

It looks like you should increase the caustics quality in the scene.

Dominic Fasino

Thanks for the response guys! I did some extra searching on some other topics I found and I didn't know that most of the settings can be tweaked to higher values then the slider allows. So I'm going to max it out even further today and let it sit in real time. Hopefully that will clear it up if it doesn't ill post the scene.

Dominic Fasino

So it seems that increasing the render settings to dangerously high levels worked for the most part. There are some caustics issues still but they are minimal. Do you guys have any plans on speeding that process up? I have a decently fast system and I had to stop the render because it was pushing 48 hours. Obviously the calculations of light rays bouncing in and off of reflective/transparent surfaces is pretty intense, just curious if this will ever become a faster process.

guest84672

Once again - can you please share the scene so we can run some tests here?

Thanks!