Speed Drop- 52 fps -> 40fps ??

Started by Imz, May 19, 2015, 04:31:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Imz

Hi Guys,

So Keyshot seemed to be running slower on my machine over the past year or so; I chalked it up to working on more and more ambitious renderings.

Anyway, I ran the camera model again, and I'm at about 40fps; a significant drop from the 52fps I was at when my machine was new... I'm on a 2010 2.93ghz Quad core i7 iMac which overall seems slower. I upgraded to 12GB of memory, cleaned out the drives, to no avail.

Could this be an artifact of upgrading to Yosemite? Just my computer getting older? Seems strange to see performance deteriorate like this.

Any help appreciated!

joseph

Hi there,

I am a Windows user and it also happens on our end as there are good patches/updates and security updates that slow overall performance. There items that work/monitor in the background but it is still an overhead  on the system. Maybe check on your system ventilation ports, it should be clean as it was like new. Do hope someone from the Mac platform give their insight on the matter.

Kazuo Tsuyuki

I'd recommend downloading a system monitor (I use iStat Menus) to see if your machine is throttling from reaching high temperatures, in addition to seeing if any other processes are taking resources away from KeyShot. I'm not sure how much dust is in your workspace, but dust accumulation can cause very high internal temperatures and therefore throttled performance. The design of the computer doesn't allow for very easy user servicing, however... You may want to arrange to bring it to a Genius Bar.

You may want to try reinstalling Yosemite. This can sometimes solve various problems surrounding performance, and is relatively easy to do provided you have a good internet connection.

From time to time I do a fresh reinstall of everything. Not from a time machine backup, but re-downloading the OS, all applications/drivers then transfer all important documents back onto the machine: this really makes a difference if you've been using the Migration Assistant to transfer data for several generations.