add transparency to translucent material

Started by andy.engelkemier, May 27, 2015, 12:40:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy.engelkemier

think aerogel as an extreme realistic use of this. You could also use this function to create clouds of sorts.

Vray can do something similar using "fog color" and "fog density."

Basically, I'd like that waxy look sometimes, but the object should be fairly transparent. I'd like to control that transparency, probably in 2 ways. Either a consistent transparency, or transparency based on surface depth.

Here's a good image to try and replicate:

Notice you can see the translucent areas of the plastic where it is thicker, but you can also make out the seat post clearly without the edge of that getting blurry. The light gets diffused inside the plastic, but it doesn't distort the objects behind it. I believe they call that a colloidal material? Skim milk would be a good example of transparent thin areas that transitions to very opaque in the middle.
You could also use this material for some really realistic looking xrays.

hpvd

transparency based on surface depth
would be really helpful when making renderings for visualisations to explain details of body/casting/package of machine components in details
+1

mafrieger

andy.engelkemier

Realistically I want the advanced material to be this:

Diffuse color (surface color, can be a map)
specular color, could be a map (also if you want to make it easy for people just call it reflection color)
specular glossiness (could be a map)
fresnell reflections toggle.
Refraction color. could be a map.
Refraction glossiness. again, could be a map. Basically All of these should be able to have maps.
refraction color density (some might call it fog color)
   also maybe have a separate density color? This would allow for a more clear material, but it only provides color at thicker areas. Similar to SSS, but without the light dispersion. Think, slightly colored glass, or coffee.
Translucency check box, if there are more than 1 method, maybe dropdown, defaulted to none of course.
Then have translucency settings.
Material shader type (BDRF). Default is probably Blinn or Phong. not sure what Keyshot uses by default. Anisotropic should be one option, then have amount, and rotation angle
    And then How it's angled. World, local, or UV map channel.

This Might be about all. If we had all these settings, we could make a metal, a plastic, a glass, a water, skin, whatever....All with 1 material. That would be handy. It would be great to start with something like metal. Then you realize you need just a touch more control with one setting that's only in the advanced material and have it Actually look the same. Start with aluminum right now, then move over to advanced and it's not metal any more. It looks terrible.